Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Doom and gloom for elk hunting this season

Laelkhunter

After the extreme conditions of the winter kill, and the extreme heat and drought conditions presently, I wonder what the real outlook is for elk and deer hunting out West. Colorado reduced tag numbers in some units due to the extreme numbers lost in the winter. Just wondering if anyone cares to speculate....

majority of units are just fine.

in the hard hit colorado and wyoming units the outlook for elk is best, then deer, and pronghorn the worst.

plenty of other colorado units you can choose on an otc tag.

Still going. I hunt a private Ranch in 78/81. Already paid for, and have my OTC Bull license (rifle 2nd season) in the gun safe. I leave on Oct 21 for Chama, spend a week there before heading to the Ranch for my hunt. Year #34 for elk hunting in the area.

78/81?

these units didn't even see tag reductions and are literally about as far from the colorado severe winter zone as possible.
Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

After the extreme conditions of the winter kill, and the extreme heat and drought conditions presently, I wonder what the real outlook is for elk and deer hunting out West. Colorado reduced tag numbers in some units due to the extreme numbers lost in the winter. Just wondering if anyone cares to speculate....
I know in Idaho our fish and game dept. says that the Elk did fine but our mule deer population took a hit with our late cold snap and subsequent fawn loss.

I was thinking that the elk were less impacted by the winter since they tend to migrate to lower elevations, and the deer tend to stay closer to where they were born.

Last edited:
Severe winters are usually not as much of a concern for timber carp. It’s not usually something I worry about. Mule deer are much more affected by winter as others have alluded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back