Doom and gloom for elk hunting this season

I don't think it'll be all doom and gloom. In WY, elk are doing well across the state. Sure deer and antelope numbers are down, but from what I understand it is not as bad as expected. The collar data was brutal, but flyover counts weren't nearly as bad. I spoke to a biologist and he suspects that with a winter this rough, the added burden of wearing a collar was the difference between getting through the winter and perishing. Pretty interesting.

its going to be terrible. I've seen like no elk in Colorado this year. I would definitely stay home.
Like I said, it's paid for already, got the OTC license. I only need to see a legal one. Something like a 340 6X6 will do nicely. Or whatever legal bull happens to get into shooting range.

Last edited:
Idaho seems to be fine, I’ve seen a lot more elk than I normally have this time of year. These cold fronts I feel might set on an early rut. It will be interesting

I need to go hunting with uncle Randy if I ever wanna get my first bull, apparently… ☹️

I didn’t see a single elk until the last day of season once the snow hit.

My unit in Western Colorado is just fine. I’m hunting Saturday and every day until archery is done or I tag.

I am taking the year off from elk - sent back my muzzy bull tag and am avoiding OTC like the plague this year in particular due to all the tumult.

Didn’t put in for my guaranteed to draw CO antelope tag (herd in that area is basically dead from what has been said. I should have put in last year, missed that opportunity now for the next 5 years -at least- if it ever comes back).

A yet to be chosen Wyoming antelope in a non-winterkill unit is in trouble this year though.

Looking forward to hearing boots on the ground tales from the hard hit units soon.

I was fortunate to draw a 1st season bull tag on the edge of the reduced tag area in 231. This unit has always had plenty of elk and mule deer. With the reduced tags, there should be less hunters in the woods and maybe less elk. Still have to get there and put in the miles to find out. Good luck fellas.

blacksheep

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back