Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana Field Possession Limit

buffybr

Even though the "Species-Specific" section of the Montana 2009 Upland Game Birds regulations allows a possession limit of multiple times the daily limit, I just read this in the General Regulations:

"Field Possession Limit - No person shall possess more than one daily bag limit while in the field, or while returning from the field to one's vehicle, hunting camp, home, etc."

So as I read this, if you drive to eastern Montana for a bird hunt, you can only bring home one day's limit.

I dont think thats the intent of the law...I think it just means you better not have 2 daily limits while walking back to your truck from a days hunt.

I'd definately ask a warden for specifics though, but I know I've been checked with two daily limits on my way home after a weekend hunt in MT with no problems. Been a few years ago though.

BuzzH,

What you describe is the way that I've always understood the regulations, and I hope that's the way it is. What confuses me is the wording in the "General Regulations" section that I posted. I'll call FW&P tomorrow.

In Idaho, they started busting the people who would camp the RV next to the lake and freeze multiple day's fish limits, claiming they were "home" and not in the field.

Not sure where they ended up with it.

So as I read this, if you drive to eastern Montana for a bird hunt, you can only bring home one day's limit.

Thats the way I read it, thats probably the way the judge is going to read it.

"Field Possession Limit - No person shall possess more than one daily bag limit while in the field, or while returning from the field to one's vehicle, hunting camp, home, etc."

The way I read it is that when your headed back to the truck. You can have 2 day limits from 2 days of hunting while driving back to your home. If you went to the east side for the weekend "2 days" you are allowed to have a 2 day limit. That is my interpretation if it made sense. I'd call FWP to double check. Post what you find out, i'm sure that this thread has made a lot of people think and question the law. Thanks,

MTDOGS

I visited with the Region 6 warden captain about this. He said that why the enforce this is strictly a "field possession limit".

There is not an issue of transporting a full possession limit home. He said you may even have them in a cooler with either the foot or head on pheasants or the wings on Sharpies and Huns as long as they are from the previous days. What they are trying to prevent is taking multiple daily limits on a single day. He said it is even more confusing on the Nodak border where you have guys hunting on a couple of different licenses and then throw in the Tribal License and you can actually have multiple possession limits due to hunting under three different licenses.

Nemont

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back