Montana Deer - Roadless Muleys

Randy- Let me know if you guys need any help and spot any Elk. Ate lunch next to your truck today while gearing up to head in the opposite direction as you guys. At least I'm pretty sure it's was your truck. A few of your pictures look familiar. Good luck. Your going to need it tomorrow. Heading up there later in the morning as well.

I've seen you drop an elk in a nasty crosswind so I know that you can do it. Head in there tomorrow and give it your worst. It will all work out. I have a good feeling. I think you might even stumble on to some others on the way in.

Didn't think to check his plates. That would be a dead giveaway..... Headed out now. Hopefully I run into Randy with his buck unless I get my bull.

Just in. Hard to think I spent all day up on those ridges. It was brutal. No, it was worse than brutal. My cheeks make Santa look pale. My eyes are dry and bloodshot. My lips are swollen and cracked. But, it was fun to scale that rock and expect to shoot your dream buck when you finally peek over that ridge.

Dreams were all it was. The big buck and his doe from yesterday must have cruised through the basin, according to the tracks, hardly slowing to look around. Three hour climb to get up there, only to be hammered by winds that made it difficult to stand up when gusting.

All day provided nothing more than five does. They were tucked tight in the thick stuff. Mostly an accident to spot them moving through an opening.

Wind forecast is the same for tomorrow, along with a blizzard warning of up to 20" of snow above 6,000'. Should make for an interesting final day. If there is snow and little visibility, my plan will be to hike until I cross a single track, then follow it all day.

Sure had big dreams of shooting that buck. Who knows, he may be on the prowl and might put himself in my crosshairs tomorrow. Regardless of snow and wind, the only way to kill one is to be out chasing them.

Will give the final report after the hunt wraps up tomorrow.

Tonight/tomorrow's forecast. :eek:

++++++++++++++++++++++

Blizzard Warning
Expires 5:00 PM MST on November 20, 2012
Statement as of 1:29 PM MST on November 19, 2012

... Blizzard Warning remains in effect until 5 PM MST Tuesday for
elevations above 6000 feet...

A Blizzard Warning for elevations above 6000 feet remains in
effect until 5 PM MST Tuesday.

* Timing and main impact: snow will develop at elevations above
6000 feet along the Rocky Mountain front this afternoon and
continue through Tuesday. Snow may be heavy at times. Strong
west winds will create blizzard conditions.

* Winds and visibility: west winds 25 to 40 mph with gusts to
60 mph will create significant blowing and drifting of the
snow. Visibilities will be reduced to less than one-quarter
mile at times in heavy snow and blowing snow.

* Snow accumulations: snow accumulations of 8 to 15 inches are
generally expected... but up to 20 inches are possible at the
higher peaks.

* Elevations: for elevations above 6000 feet.

Dang Fin keep it up buddy!!! We finished up a tough hunt in Nebraska and the whole te I was thinking about all of the tough hunts you have been on and how perseverance finally paid off!!!! And in our case it did, post up story and pics later!! I guess what I am saying is if anyone can do it, it would be you guys!!! Good luck!!!

Randy, you ain't kidding about the wind. Still up here, found a good bull tonight bedded down in some thick stuff. Looks like he is there to stay. Speaking of staying, looks like we are staying up at with him but across the canyon. We've clocked 72 mph wind gusts so far. We are tucked back under a over hang that will hopefully keep some snow off of the tent as well as the wind. It is nasty up here. Good luck tomorrow. Your going to need it in this crap.

High wind can certainly make things interesting, and sometimes downright brutal! Keep after it, another one will pop up. Those big deer that are truly in the top 5% don't show up often, but when they do its worth it!

Finished up last night and drove home, getting here too late to post anything. My wife says I look like I fell asleep on a hot plate. My face is rather raw and red. Days on end of screaming winds will do that for you.

The weatherman who called for the blizzard needs to be fired and they should promote the guy who gave the wind warning. Never snowed a bit, just some drizzle; enough to make it even less comfortable. The wind roared again as predicted, finally relenting some just before dark.

Saw two does yesterday; no bucks. Climbed our butts off to find a perch that would allow us to look down on the heavily-tracked benches that had slight openings in the thick canopy. Not sure I could get the camera guys to volunteer for another trek up those steep slippery rock slides. Not sure I could convince myself to do it again without certainty of a big buck showing up under our nose.

I know there are some whopper bucks in that country. I got to glass one of those big guys on Day Three. Unfortunately for me, the buck is not in the back of my truck. Fortunately for some other hunter who might have the last few days to hunt, he is still up there and the rut is surely in full swing.

It was a remarkable hunt, even with the brutal wind. It is a place I will return to someday. I will pick my dates, rather than have a filming schedule dictate my dates for me. I will hunt it almost like you hunt whitetails in the north woods, getting on a buck track and following it as far as daylight and my legs will allow.

The images and scenics are off the charts. The struggles against the landscape and it ruggedness are a challenge, and further complicated by weather elements common to these front range areas.

I am thankful that in five days, I was able to cover so much new country, yet hardly even scratched the surface of the many great possibilities just in that drainage. A person could hunt an entire lifetime in that big country and still not cover half of it.

My legs are aching, my face is wind, lips are chapped, and eyes are dry. Nothing like a few days of turkey and pumpkin pie to get me refueled and ready for Arizona elk.

The country is as wild as wild gets in the Lower 48. It is truly roadless country, were horse and foot are the only means of transport. Where you not only earn you animal, but earn every foot of elevation it took to get there. It is hard to hunt that country without being impressed by the toughness animals must possess to live there and prosper. Makes you feel rather humble and insignificant.

Mostly, it makes you glad you live in a place where for nothing more than the gas to get there and some determination, such experiences are available to anyone, where he is the owner of the oil patch or like me, a young kid from Big Falls whose childhood dreams were filled with the fantasy to someday hunt there. Dream fulfilled and wanting for more.

I would have to say congratulations on a great hunt. We all like to see and take deer, but as you know if you have to kill something, don't go on a wilderness hunt. Thanks for taking us along and posting the story and pictures. Tremendous pictures. Bon appetit!

You certainly earn the ones you end up with Fin...

Thanks for the great write up... throw a few more cool pics up when you get time! Your photos are always good to raise my spirits!

Will be punishing myself Friday-Sunday in a similar manner trying to get the dang freezer filled with elk.

I loved watching this episode, the landscape was awesome. After watching I asked my wife if she ever thought of just picking up and moving to Montana!

Watched it off the DVR this morning. How do you not show any signs of wind burn after 3 days of near hurricane force winds?? Must have a good makeup crew!;)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back