Montana Deer - Roadless Muleys

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Headed out this afternoon for five days of hunting mule deer in some of Montana's wildest country. Thankful that the weather forecast is shaping up nicely and should not result in frozen body parts.

Just so happens that this hunt schedule coincides with the peak of the mule deer rut. Hope it is easier than my Colorado hunt last week. Probably not easier, given how steep and ugly this country is and how much snow will be there.

We will be hunting roadless areas. Areas that are some of Montana's most historic wild lands. Places that are not even officially designated Wilderness areas, but are wild, unroaded, wildlife habitat holding some great hunting opportunities.

We want to show how it is that Montana can accomdate 160,000 over-the-counter general unit hunters, chasing elk and deer for six weeks of archery and five weeks of rifle, and still have a good age class of bucks/bulls, and plenty of animals. The simple answer is that Montana made the decision in the early 1990's that we would restrict motorized travel, either permanently or seasonally, to protect wildlife and allow us to have such great seasons and such easy access to tags.

More roads equal less opportunity, shorter seasons, limited tags, younger age classes, and many other things that are not good for the long-term values of hunting. I want to show these values in this episode, whether we get a buck, or not.

Someday I will be too old and hobbled to hunt these areas. I will be grateful for the times I have put my pack on my back and leaned into the grade, knowing these are special places with special opportunities. Hopefully I will pack many more elk and deer out of places like this before they put me out to pasture. Taking nothing for granted with recent health scares, I will be immersed in the wonders these places have to offer, thankful for every bit of it.

Report is that the grizz are looking for their last few morsels before hibernations. Hope I am not one of those morsels. Gonna have my bear spray on the ready and my head on a swivel.

Wind, deep snow, steep hills, and hopefully a nice Montana mule deer. Just the way we like it.

Will hopefully have a web connection to do nightly updates.

Glassed up some muley bucks this morning. Noses were on the ground, necks were swollen and the ladies were being teases. Should be a good hunt. Can I slip in your bags? I've got an unpunched deer tag.

Good luck guys! I hope the weather holds out, and that the streak continues. Be safe and I will be awaiting some awesome photos.

We will be hunting roadless areas. Areas that are some of Montana's most historic wild lands. Places that are not even officially designated Wilderness areas, but are wild, unroaded, wildlife habitat holding some great hunting opportunities.

We want to show how it is that Montana can accomdate 160,000 over-the-counter general unit hunters, chasing elk and deer for six weeks of archery and five weeks of rifle, and still have a good age class of bucks/bulls, and plenty of animals. The simple answer is that Montana made the decision in the early 1990's that we would restrict motorized travel, either permanently or seasonally, to protect wildlife and allow us to have such great seasons and such easy access to tags.

More roads equal less opportunity, shorter seasons, limited tags, younger age classes, and many other things that are not good for the long-term values of hunting. I want to show these values in this episode, whether we get a buck, or not.

Someday I will be too old and hobbled to hunt these areas. I will be grateful for the times I have put my pack on my back and leaned into the grade, knowing these are special places with special opportunities.

Preach it!!!!!!!!

Good luck Randy! Will be fun to read. Was at Knaeb's shack on the Bigfork last week. Awesome spot. Ramon K got dandy bull at Al's place in Co this year. Grandson Jake(13) from Kremmling chasing deer and elk this weekend. See who does better!

Minn wolf hunt going well. Took 128 wolves since Nov 3 out of 200 limit. First hunt ends Nov. 18. Second hunt for additional 200 wolves starts Nov. 24 thru January. We heard them everyday at our shack but had no tags.

Seems to me like the bucks have kind of calmed down a little and are already broke off with their does. I looked at a bunch of mule deer today that were in groups of 5-6 with one buck in each group, not moving much.

Good luck, hope you guys stumble on a pig.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back