Montana 518 Mountain Goat

HuntMT16

I drew the 518-20 Mountain Goat tag in Montana. This is in the the Froze to Death Plateau area of south central Montana. I have a call in to the biologist and have a friend who drew the same tag about 10 years ago, but this will be my first Mountain Goat hunt ever. So if anyone has any advice, or knows the area and willing to share some knowledge, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

I'd start here. You will probably learn all you need to know about what to do and what not to do when it comes to chasing Billies in Montana.

From your location it looks like it is practically your backyard. Not much anyone can add above what you will learn from a couple of scouting trips over the summer.

From your location it looks like it is practically your backyard. Not much anyone can add above what you will learn from a couple of scouting trips over the summer.
It is practically in my backyard. I am planning several trips in this summer, just not real sure if the areas I see goats in during the summer months will be the areas they are in during fall.

I'd start here. You will probably learn all you need to know about what to do and what not to do when it comes to chasing Billies in Montana.

Thanks

Be prepared for a difficult hunt. . . And some degree of razzing if you dont give much effort.

Good luck!

Be prepared for a difficult hunt. . . And some degree of razzing if you dont give much effort.

Good luck!
I am prepared for a difficult hunt. I figure this will probably be my one and only mountain goat hunt, so I am gearing up for it. Fortunately I have plenty of vacation time to take off of work and a forgiving wife that is willing to let me be gone for long stretches.

Shoot me a PM I've spent a fair amount of time in the unit. I've also got a goat tag for another unit but I'm happy to help you with what I can for access and navigation. Good luck!

I drew the 518-20 Mountain Goat tag in Montana. This is in the the Froze to Death Plateau area of south central Montana. I have a call in to the biologist and have a friend who drew the same tag about 10 years ago, but this will be my first Mountain Goat hunt ever. So if anyone has any advice, or knows the area and willing to share some knowledge, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
I drew 323 last year and some basic advice just for goat hunting in general I could give you. pack light, it’s steep and horrible stuff. We had a lot of good, light packs and equipment. Some down and excellent rain gear (I had stone glacier stuff) is a must because that high elevation can be wet. Scout in late august or close to the season. We went down in august and 3-4 weeks later many of the goats were close to the same spots. Scout at least once. Don’t just show up and wonder where the goats are. Find out if you get altitude sickness. Definately can affect people once your above 9500-10000. Dizziness and nausea is a real thing that one of our guys ran into. Take a few people. Goats aren’t huge but it’s nice having help. Especially trying to process a goat on a 70 degree pitch. get in shape!!! If you aren’t already hike a lot and higher stuff. Goat hunting was prob one of the harder hunts I’ve ever done and that includes multiple dall sheep. Goats especially big Billie’s will be up at the very tops. We saw some that were too dangerous to attempt. Light gun is the way. I don’t reccomend a heavy gun but that’s up to you. On your scouting trip find water. It’s a huge issue if you have to haul a bunch vs just fill up at springs.

I drew 323 last year and some basic advice just for goat hunting in general I could give you. pack light, it’s steep and horrible stuff. We had a lot of good, light packs and equipment. Some down and excellent rain gear (I had stone glacier stuff) is a must because that high elevation can be wet. Scout in late august or close to the season. We went down in august and 3-4 weeks later many of the goats were close to the same spots. Scout at least once. Don’t just show up and wonder where the goats are. Find out if you get altitude sickness. Definately can affect people once your above 9500-10000. Dizziness and nausea is a real thing that one of our guys ran into. Take a few people. Goats aren’t huge but it’s nice having help. Especially trying to process a goat on a 70 degree pitch. get in shape!!! If you aren’t already hike a lot and higher stuff. Goat hunting was prob one of the harder hunts I’ve ever done and that includes multiple dall sheep. Goats especially big Billie’s will be up at the very tops. We saw some that were too dangerous to attempt. Light gun is the way. I don’t reccomend a heavy gun but that’s up to you. On your scouting trip find water. It’s a huge issue if you have to haul a bunch vs just fill up at springs.
All great advice, I appreciate it.

Thanks
Why to go good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back