Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana 32 day camping restriction

A total year camping limit seems like a total pain for everyone involved. FS resources are already stretched thin, id like to see how they plan to keep track of the number of days people camp year round. My local forest has an 18 day limit for most of the year, for some silly reason the limit ends October 8. It is not uncommon for people to spend way over 18 days in 1 spot especially during September archery season. I’d guess the number of camps that ever have repercussions for exceeded the limit is maybe 1 a year at most. I know of a camp this year that was in place for over a month and was visible from the highway, FS never dealt with it.

IS that saying you can camp a total of 32 days in Montana on USFS land? Wonder how they'll enforce that...

It's clearly targeted at people attempting to live on FS land by moving drainages every 16 days. Squatters are becoming a major problem on public land. It's too bad they didn't write it differently though, something like no more than 32 days in a 2 or 3 month period would still make it enforceable to prevent mobile squatting, but not make legitimate users illegal.

I know of multiple places on public land where hunters drop their camper in September and pick it up at the end of Nov. The two that I see regularly seem clean and tidy so it doesn't bother me too much.

At least it gives people teeth to do something about the issues.

I wouldnt even worry about it being enforced if i spent 40 days on fs over a year (and have before).

It’s a bigger issue than just camping too long in one spot. It is all about, “You will own nothing and be happy“ ideology that is creeping in around us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back