monday shed tip

antlerradar

My wife thinks I have developed a medical condition she calls swivel neck. She believes this because when I am walking in the hills I an constantly turning my head to look side to side. It is also a good idea to look behind you when walking.

When I was much younger I was walking up a steep hill into a very stiff wind. Nature was calling and anyone that has spent any amount of time out side in Eastern MT. knows that you don't face the wind when nature is calling. I turned around and not twenty feet away in plan sight was one of the biggest mule deer antlers I have ever found. I had walked within 10 feet of the antler but it was hidden by a little cut bank. It pays to look behind you. You will be surprised how many antlers you walk by.

Antlerradar

Very good tip. I got the same problem Friday I was driving to work and when going down past the neighbors I see tines sticking out of the snow on the way to work. I have found numerous sheds drving down the highway. My wife thinks I'm crazy but hey that's okay....:D

I found a handful of nice sheds outside a coyote den one year, it was a pretty cool find. Since then I follow fresh coyote tracks in the spring snow just in case the coyote pick up an antler (thinking it's a bone) and carries it back to their pad or drops it along the way. I still find a shed every once in a while using this method, but almost always end up with a productive coyote hunting spot out of the deal!

Very good tip. I got the same problem Friday I was driving to work and when going down past the neighbors I see tines sticking out of the snow on the way to work. I have found numerous sheds drving down the highway. My wife thinks I'm crazy but hey that's okay....:D

I do the same thing! When a farmer turns their fields in the fall and the snow melts off the black dirt in the late winter sun it is easy to spot antlers if you drive slow.

You just never know what you'll see when you go the other direction than you usually go............

I walked by them for 7 years

You just never know what you'll see when you go the other direction than you usually go............

I walked by them for 7 years

Exact same story with this shed with me. One of my favorite shed hunting spots consists of walking in on this old logging road, making a big loop, and dropping down on a ridge to my pickup. For whatever reason this time I came out back on the logging road. I had walked within 3-5 feet of this thing probably 8-10 times before finally seeing it.

HORN1_zpsf5cdb308.jpg

HORN2_zpsfd8de8bd.jpg

Found one with my truck tire while checking fence. Sidewall ruined the tire 12000 on tire.

Lighting has a funny way of playing tricks on the eyes. One way the antler blends in the other it's silhouette is seen.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back