Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Mom and Pop find in 243 win.

I’ve had a .243 for 10 or so years and I’ve never shot an animal with it. It’s always the loaner rifle as it got my younger brother hunting before he bought a rifle of his own. Now my wife shoots it until we get her inherited 6mm Rem set up. I use a good load of IMR 4064 and 85gr Barnes TSX for it. Has worked very well from 40 yards to 250 on whitetails and pronghorn so far. Short tracking jobs.

I’ve had a .243 for 10 or so years and I’ve never shot an animal with it. It’s always the loaner rifle as it got my younger brother hunting before he bought a rifle of his own. Now my wife shoots it until we get her inherited 6mm Rem set up. I use a good load of IMR 4064 and 85gr Barnes TSX for it. Has worked very well from 40 yards to 250 on whitetails and pronghorn so far. Short tracking jobs.
Short tracking jobs is what I like to hear.

I've always had at least one 243 in my rifle stable for the last 40 years or so. I would hate to think about all of the deer I have killed with that caliber.. I currently have a Stevens 200 as my 243 in house and I am currently building a custom Mauser 98 with a short chambered Douglas #1 barrel in 243..

Many years I worked at a local farm doing depredation hunts. I would shoot between 25-50 deer a year all with a 243 of one make or another.. Most dropped at the hit. I don't ever recall having one go much more than 50-60 yards. Most hardly moved.. Killing all of those deer on that farm I never lost a single deer doing those hunts..

I've always had at least one 243 in my rifle stable for the last 40 years or so. I would hate to think about all of the deer I have killed with that caliber.. I currently have a Stevens 200 as my 243 in house and I am currently building a custom Mauser 98 with a short chambered Douglas #1 barrel in 243..

Many years I worked at a local farm doing depredation hunts. I would shoot between 25-50 deer a year all with a 243 of one make or another.. Most dropped at the hit. I don't ever recall having one go much more than 50-60 yards. Most hardly moved.. Killing all of those deer on that farm I never lost a single deer doing those hunts..
That sounds like a good vote of confidence.

I've taken two deer on .243. My biggest issue right now is that the ammo is super hard to find! Super expensive too. It's coming back up at many sites now and I've found it at the range. A great caliber for whitetails and smaller game.

Well, I took the 243 to the range and the Nosler E tips were all over the place. The good news is that on the Nosler box it says 9 twist or faster. My rifle has a 10 twist so I guess it was somewhat expected.

243 in k98 can be fun. I posted somewhere in the forum about mine with a 26" manly bull barrel. Great for distance, bit heavy to cart around. Have you solved the feed problem with yours yet?

243 in k98 can be fun. I posted somewhere in the forum about mine with a 26" manly bull barrel. Great for distance, bit heavy to cart around. Have you solved the feed problem with yours yet?
I haven't seemed to have much of an issue but I made a different mag carrier for mine.. Plus mine wasn't a k98 action.
Originally it was a Steyr 1912 action licensed by Mauser to make for Paraguay in 7mm Mauser with original nickeled bolt from the factory.. I still want to put on a 3 position Model 70 type bolt safety..

I only have a 2 position "Mark 2" safety. Try Timney, that's the trigger I dropped in mine, I think they have one with the 3 position like the Howa side safety

Oh I forget, there is a 3 position that you change the end of the bolt. Check Brownells. It slides like the Ruger and Winchester 3 position

I gave an old Mossberg 800 b to my nephew that was a .243. I found a Remington 788 in .243 and bout it for $300. Fun to shoot, it will end up being my grandson’s gun one day. Get it, you’ll like it.

According to rumor the 95 gr Ballistic Tip was made with a thicker jacket because a Nosler Executive at the time had a shoulder injury and still was an elk junkie and wanted to keep hunting but needed less recoil.

I have seen what that bullet does on 200 pound whitetails and it is impressive. Even at reduced recoil handloads for my then 9 year old daughter. 60 yard shot broadside and she broke the off shoulder going out with a 1/2 inch exit hole. About a 50 yard run on three legs and she tipped over. Four or five friends have used the exact same reduced recoil recipe for their children and as far as I know all pass throughs with same results.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back