Mixed bag of ducks

Would like to see a shot of your craft, complete with burlap.

Having a hard time finding a good photo. Here is one with the burlap-ed boat in the background, after my grandsons 2nd duck hunt a few years ago.

P1030424 red.jpg

Here is a picture showing the boat a bit better, after a great hunt with my brother.

P1030481.jpg

I built a male mold (plug) for these boats about 30 years ago, and have made 4 boats from it. 2 seen in the pictures above, and gave each of my brothers one. Each boat is made in two pieces (top & bottom) and "glued' together, entirely made of fiberglass. I used epoxy resin for one boat (I use this one the most), the others used a polyester resin. I HATE working with fiberglass, but it is the way to go. Earlier versions of duckboats I built were basically wooden boats covered with fiberglass, and are always on the heavy side.

The boats are on the small side, 10 ft long, but very light, being about 30 lbs. Weight is a big thing for me because I often end up carrying or dragging these things a long way. Boat design is always a tradeoff of many factors, these boats are good for lots of things, but not great for any one thing. The cockpit is large enough to lay down in (barely) so I can use it as a layout boat in some cases. Usually I'll try to find some cover so I can hunt sitting up in it. I also jumpshoot ducks out of it if the conditions are right. The hull design is not particularly stable, so it is not for beginners, but the design allows for a very light and nimble boat. Space is limited so no dog on these trips, and only a small number of decoys.

The day I shot the limit above, I shot 3 ducks out of the boat, and 3 from shore.

Got 4 species today. Real windy so tough shooting, missed a bunch. I did kill the pintail on a left-handed shot out of the boat. Should have had another pintail, but that left the slot for the redhead. After passing up a bunch of shots at teal I finally pulled the trigger on one.

P1020223 red.jpg

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back