Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Missoula area meat processor

PFUNK

Where do all the folks who live around Missoula bring their elk meat? I have heard Superior Meats Inc over in Superior puts out good products and am planning on bringing mine there tomorrow unless someone else has some advice on where else to take it. Thanks

Superior has been the best. Against other people's advise, I once took my meat to H&H in Missoula ONCE... I regret not heeding their advice - No apologies to anyone here who works or caters their business. Best to you if your happy with them.

Superior has always been great at price, quality, cuts, wrapping - good group of people there. No reason for me to go elsewhere - Hardly worth changing great for the chance at finding another "Great" spot.

I have heard Lolo has some place - never tried it though nothing negative in recent years.
If Hamilton is down your way, I took an elk to Hamilton Meats and they did a great job. That was several years ago though so not even sure if they are still in business.

I'd be curious to hear what you didn't like about H&H Sytes. My family's taken dozens of animals there and we've never had problems at all. I'd have no problems recommending them. We've always got all our own meat back and the packaged to hanging weight ratio has always been right. I don't really like any of their sausage of jerkies, although they do make good pepper sticks.

I took a deer to Lolo locker once to get sausage made out of. The sausage was good but they charged me cutting and processing fees on top of the sausage making fees. Didn't seem right to me and I haven't been back.

Last edited:
Randy11, I took two mature whitetails and received one box of 40lbs about 4 years ago. I told them they must have missed another box or something - the guy threw attitude that I would suggest he didn't give me all the boxes. I showed him my initial slip presenting the two deer and still, he refused to go back and look.

I asked someone else if they would go take a look for another box and that person said basically, "If he said he has all your boxes, you got all your boxes." The attitude alone was enough to take my business elsewhere. I did not start off pissed - I honestly figured he didn't realize I had brought in two deer. though when he pitched his attitude even after still being calm, explaining AND showing him my ticket - that was it... then asking another to look and getting that response - Thus no apologies to any that work or cater their business... simply best to you if your happy with them.

These were clean shot, Ice packed whities. No way in hell was it only 40lbs. This was after a few missoulians advised me of similar experiences.

edit:
It was more the attitude and turning an honest inquiry into an accusation - the service, then trumped by another that had me turned off. Walking out knowing there was another box of at least 20lbs and never receiving a call about a box not picked up... I hear they turn over crew assistance often other then a dedicated couple good butchers. I think they guy hoped to swipe my other box thinking I would not question the weight. 4 years ago is fair time and I would suspect they know their long term customers and ensure they (your family) are treated right.

Last edited:
Yeah that experience would definitely lose my business as well, that sucks.

I've always gotten good customer service, but I really can't remember the last time I didn't deal with either the owners or the main butcher.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will take it to superior then. I am kind of hoping they will let me drop all of my meat off but only get a portion of it processed right away so I can sample some of the stuff and then decide what I want the remainder made into. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Definately take it to Jerry in Superior. Probably one of the best in Western Montana. Before I started doing all my own stuff, I would even take stuff from Bozeman to Superior........

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back