Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Mile High Elk Club???

Dougfirtree

Sorry, couldn't resist a catchy title...

I leave in one week for some elk and antelope hunting in central Wyoming. I've got a cow tag and a doe tag. If I'm lucky enough to bring back some meat, I'm thinking about doing so via the airline, which I've never done before. In the event of success, let's say I've got two big coolers, each weighing 60 or 70 pounds, full of frozen meat. Southwest Airlines says I can do that, checking 4 "bags" (including my backpack and rifle), for only $150.00. Sounds great, but it makes me nervous. Will it really be ok when I show up with two coolers wrapped in duct tape? Might the plane not have room?

How many of you have done this? Have you run into any problems? Any advice? I welcome all thoughts on the matter. Thank you!

I've never had an issue traveling with meat. Brought a bear back to PA from MT in two coolers wrapped in duct tape, and brought a whitetail back from PA to MT the same way. Frozen meat, no ice. Was just as frozen when I got home as when I left.

I've got some inside tsa info and you'll be totally fine. My advice is to make sure the meat is frozen solid. Check the airline rules for dry ice if you are thinking of using any (you won't need to though) be aware that your cooler will probably need to be opened to clear security so if you want to put some extra tape inside for them to use to seal it back up. (not necessary though) airports out west see lots of hunters and they do a good job getting them through.

Well in my younger days I'd have confronted the guy and probably kicked his ass if he started the what you gonna do about it shit, now in my senior years I'd still have confronted him (hard to break old habits) and just turned him in, and be damn glad my 2 daughters weren't there to witness it or they'll never stop worrying about me every time I go hunting by myself..

I use zip ties in the lock holes instead of duck tape I also tape a few extras on the case in case tsa has to check the bag. It makes for less mess

I also tape a pre pro Ted paper on top the cooler saying
Frozen meat in bold red lettering along with destination and contact info. Never had a problem.

Well in my younger days I'd have confronted the guy and probably kicked his ass if he started the what you gonna do about it shit, now in my senior years I'd still have confronted him (hard to break old habits) and just turned him in, and be damn glad my 2 daughters weren't there to witness it or they'll never stop worrying about me every time I go hunting by myself..

Straight outta left field! Made me laugh!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back