Merino products

Baerman

I have some merino gear from Core4Element and First Lite. For my tops, I'm really liking the C4E so far over the FL. The C4E is far superior to the FL in that it shows little sign of wear. I've probalby worn it three times as much as the FL top and so far there are no holes in it. My FL top on the other hand has many little holes in it just after a handful times of wear. Most of the holes are showing up near where my backpack rides on the shoulders and waist. Is this normal for some of you using First Lite?

I really like the merino and would like to get more of it next year because I really like how well it wicks moisture and keeps scent down after many days of use. So I started looking into other products and looking at the specifications. Looks like most of the popular brands are 100% merino product with varying weight in grams. Obviously, the heavier the material the more durable it probably is. I did notice though that Kuiu is 48% merino and 52% polyester from the Merino company.

My question is, with this blend, will the merino still wick moisture away adequately and will it keep the scent down over multiple days of use? I was really leaning to getting full kuiu gear but am now starting to second guess it a bit.

You must not crawl through many barbed wire fences ;)

I have a C4E upper that I have worn the past two hunting seasons. It's got some small holes in it from fences and poky stuff, but I really like it a lot! I am impressed with the durability given how thin it is. I plan on picking up a few more tops in the future. Moisture wicking ability of it is awesome.

I've got both some 100% and some blended stuff, and I prefer the all wool. I haven't tried very many brands, but of what I have I like Smartwool best.

100% Merino won't stink, blended will!
Its amazing stuff Merino wool, after a hard days slog, take it off and within a short time you wont smell any odour, i use Icebreaker.
Cheers
Richard

I wear merino base layers from 3 or 4 different companies in the field hunting and i also wear them when i run. All work well and all are 100% merino. I would think it a better option to go the products that are full merino to get best effect out of the well known advantages that merino gives the hunter/active hiker.

As for merino products showing signs of wear in areas, that is certainly possible, but most of the base layers are designed to be worn with another more durable garment over the top, but if you have to wear them as a stand alone layer, then i would expect them to get beaten up over time with habitat and conditions a typical hunter would put them through.

Keep in mind the fibre size (microns) that the garment is manufactured with will have an effect on the overall quality and performance of a merino garment, the finer the micron the more comfortable against the skin and better moisture wicking abilities.

There is no better base layer, stick to 100% merino.

I like minus 33 as well. Merino is great, much better than polyester base layers.

The blends will likely be more durable, but will also hold the stank more than pure merino. Polyester clings to stink bigtime.

Smartwool all the way. I've tried a lot of different base layers and Smartwool wins hands down. Try buying it on Sierra trading post.

Core 4 has done me well along with SmartWool. The KUIU 185 is 100% merino, the 230 is a mix. I agree that straight wool is the only way to go.

I have used the entire C4E line, and the merino is my favorite. I have used other brands, not FL. Had problems with fit and smell. The C4E does not itch, I love it. Can not speak for FL, but my smart wool shrunk and was not supposed to.

Kuiu sale going on now! Last night I was on the Kuiu site trying to order some gear and had some problems with their site so I was unable to place my order. Today I called Shaun at Kuiu to place my order and found starting today they have all gear on sale, great prices. Needless to say I originally was placing an order for a beanie & neck gator.....but with the sale I went for some items I've really been wanting....to the tune of $850 later. Thought anyone considering Kuiu would be interested in the sale.

I am a textile artist, worked with numerous fibers and researched ancient uses, as well as indigenous cultures uses. Alpaca is stronger, warmer, dryer and softer than merino. Years ago I began switching my gear from the synthetics to natural fibers and quickly found the benefits of alpaca. Now I have an advantage that I make my own stuff, but I know of a Montana company that has hunting and fishing clothing made of alpaca. Dont want to post any links that would be a problem, but look into alpaca/llama fibers for durability, wicking and warmth.

I exclusively use smartwool. Does not hold that funky odor like blends. I have bought mine on sale from sierra trading post and amazon.

Heads up, cabelas has a sale on merino wool products. I've never used the cabelas brand wool but bought a base layer to try. $140 top for $90, same on bottoms.

First Lite has both base layer and outerwear in Merino wool. I've heard several complaints about the outerwear wearing quickly. Too bad because I really like the ASAT camo. I also heard they are coming out with a more durable outerwear.

Back