Let's talk base layers: FL merino wool vs Kuiu Pelotons

matechakeric

Of the big hunting brands, I've only tried FL merino wool & Kuiu Peloton synthetic shirts. I like FL for wearing around the house (I find them a little softer) but when I start sweating, I much prefer the fast drying pelotons. FL merino wool shirts hold onto sweat forever which I hate because my torso sweats alot when I'm hiking.

I haven't noticed a ton of difference in the smell of Kuiu Peloton vs FL merino wool tbh. Merino wools is supposed to be king at odor reduction but I think the KUII pelotons do a decent job at it too

Curious if anyone else agrees or feels different

I started with the FL merino, which I still like, but it doesn't take a lot for me to sweat if I'm exercising, even on the very cold days.

I was introduced to the Brynje mesh baselayers (https://www.brynjeusa.com/product/unisex-t-shirt-inlay/) though reading of how much the founder of Backpacking Light, Ryan Jordan, likes them and now I'm fully hooked!

So far, I've just been using the mesh baselayer in a tank top or t shirt, then with a synthetic light or medium weight long sleeve shirt over it. It's been the best combination for me so far in retaining heat and when I do sweat, in moving moisture away from my body.

For guys who get hot and sweat easily, even in the winter, I highly recommend giving these a shot!!

s

Last edited:
I generally like the merino wool baselayers for early season when it is warmer out. It doesn't bother me that it doesn't dry as fast in that warmer weather and it is more comfortable IMO. I also am more likely to be backpacking early season so the stink factor is less. Also, I find it easier to sleep in wool that has had sweat and dried out vs synthetics that get gross.

I like synthetics late season when I don't want to have sweat linger for any period of time.

I also happen to like the smell of sweaty wool!

Interesting, I've found my FL merino to dry just as, or even faster than synthetics. Plus, after 5 days in the same shirt, I'll take the merino.

A quick search confirms my experience.

Interesting, I've found my FL merino to dry just as, or even faster than synthetics. Plus, after 5 days in the same shirt, I'll take the merino.

A quick search confirms my experience.

I've tried hanging both wet on a hanger after washing them in laundry & Kuiu dries faster air drying at least for me. Maybe Kuiu Pelotons are made of better material than the avg synthetic. Not sure

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back