Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Looking into 2017

SDLorax

This fall was my first time elk hunting. I had some help from a friend of a friend on an area to go in Colorado and was on or saw elk every day of the 7 days I was out there. This was a backpack, solo, archery hunt and I loved every minute of it and learned a lot. I did learn a few things that I would like to do differently looking ahead to going agin next year (2017).
One, is that I will use my water purifier correctly the first time so I can hunt the whole allotted time (yeah, I was that guy). Two, I'm going to go during the middle of the rut or towards the last week of September so the bulls are talking and more active. Lastly, I would like to hunt in a more open area so I can spot and glass up the elk rather than sneak through the thick timber. I just seemed to struggle with not knowing exactly where the elk were until I stumbled on them, or bumped them, or heard them running away.
That last point is what I am looking for some insight on.
Can anyone point me in the general direction of some areas in OTC units & states where the terrain is more open and conducive for archery hunting elk during the peak of the rut?
I'm not looking for tanker bulls, just numbers and areas where I can get away from crowds and work hard to stick one with my bow. I really like the idea of sitting and glassing for them, then making a plan to go after them rather than the constant thick timber where even binos are overkill.

Thanks!

Sounds like you are hooked !! I know the feeling. I just booked my 2017 hunt with my outfitter (that I have been using the last 27 years).
Unfortunately, you used two words that usually don't go together. That is "OTC" and "get away from crowds", well that is more than two words, but I'm sure you know what I mean. OTC just by the nature is unlimited numbers of licenses for that area, which equates to lots and lots of hunters. If you are able to backpack and get back into the areas that most day hunters avoid, you will do good and benefit from the hunting pressure pushing Elk your way. Best try to apply for some high point areas, and get some points built up, maybe someone can help you there. I hunt a private ranch, so I purchase a second season OTC license, and am able to avoid the hunting crowds.
If you were able to bump into some Elk where you were hunting this last season, you probably did better than most who hunted this season. It was very warm and dry where I hunted (78/81), but I was able to connect on a nice 5 X 5. Good luck, you are heading in the right direction.

Thanks for the insight and congrats on the Bull! I got a shot at a 5x and had a few other oportunites, but archery hunting is archery hunting.
I guess I'm more looking for some info on hunting more open areas or higher elevations than less crowds with the OTC. I hiked back in a mile and a half an never saw anyone else the whole time, so I'm not afraid to do the work to get away. But, coming from the prairie I like to see what's coming rather than sit and wait or still hunt through the timber.

I agree public lands can be busy in some places during hunting season but if you are willing to hike where other folks won't you'll likely find elk. This may be a mile or less from the trailhead or 5+. We saw a total of 2 other hunters opening day of rifle this year and we were only 2 miles from the truck. There is great country to get into on an MT OTC tag.

sounds like you were in the right area and need to just adjust your technique. I hunt N ID and E WA for elk and we don't ever get to see elk unless they are in archery range. We hunt super thick timber and get shots every year. Hunting more open country for elk can be even more frustrating. Elk see very well and if they hear your calls, but don't see any elk they are likely to hang up way out of range. Each type of terrain presents its own obstacles. I prefer to archery hunt thick timber as calling elk into range is easier due to the cover and they cant see as far.

Was your area all timber? they could have just been in there because of the heat. if it isn't so warm next year you can probably find them in more open country. I hunted archery this year in very open country and never seen or heard an Elk.

Thanks for the insight guys.

@Old man, the area was all timber. There was one small steep open area where the elk were crossing in the mornings, but it was closer to the road and some other guys were hunting it. They bumped the elk a few too many times and the elk changed their pattern.

Get on GE and look at the units that are OTC or u units can draw with 0-1 points. Once u look at GE at these units u will be able to find the open areas in the high country. I hunted 55 twice. There's plenty high country there and ample glassing spots. Plenty of other units that are same type terrain in CO as well. Or u can use CO website as well. They have summer ranges and winter ranges etc all with public land etc etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back