Looking for scope mount advice

MTnsheds

So....I recently purchased a Montana Rifle Company X2 in .300 WM and a Leupold VariX 3 (3.5x10 - 40mm) to finish it off. The plan for this rifle is simple...hunting and typical Montana shot selections. I am excited about the combination but a bit stuck on the mounting options. I have always shot pre-64 Winchesters in smaller calibers with 2 piece bases and rings (prefer the look and shell clearance).

Several people have suggested going with a 1 piece base or ring/base combo because of "flex" due to increased recoil (no brake or plans for one). Is that really an issue?

My second concern is keeping a low profile on the scope with adequate eye relief. The stock has a fairly low comb and I want to be able to stay down on it without adding/building it up.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. Jake

Stay with two piece bases. The Montana action is plenty stiff enough. Take a look at "Conetrol" bases and projection less rings. No open screw heads to collect dirt and debris. I've used Leupold bases and rings for years, but "Conetrol" are slicker, stronger and lighter. GJ

Last edited:
I like one piece bases but not for any reason other than looks. You shouldn't have any issues with two piece bases. I have leupold bases on most things but it really hard to beat talley rings and bases

The "flex" you mentioned is BS. I like Leupold rings and bases. Talley's have a following also. mtmuley

Never had a problem with leupold bases and rings. Steel, not the rifleman series stuff.

Talley uno piece lt wts. Low. Easy to mount and lap....nary a hiccup. Mind your torque rating, locktite the bottoms.

I've used Talley's on several rifles, a 300 WM included. They do the job and don't break the bank. Just get a pair of low Talley's. That's my recommendation.

I have the same scope on a Kimber Montana in a .300 WSM. I wanted to go with Leupold QR system but they won't work on the Kimber. Called Leupold and they told me to go with the Warne Qr system. I am glad I did. Not as light as the Talley but strong and have had 0 issues with it. It is a two piece base, which I prefer, makes loading and unloading easier vs having a one piece in the way.

I've shot dual steel dovetail base/rings on every rifle I've owned or shot for years, including SWAT applications, in both 1-inch and 30mm. Everything from a 260 Rem to a 338 Win Mag. There is no recoil they won't absorb, they lock into place with confidence and are utterly reliable. Never had a single problem, and single problems were always something we were looking for.

Lots of tacticool stuff out there, but my suggestion is to go with what is proven.

Others mileage may vary.

I like Talley lightweights, and I also like the Warne steel fixed rings with their two piece steel bases. I used to always use the Leupold standard bases and rings but I'm not a fan of that style anymore. If you need the option of moving the scope back more, it's nice to have a picatinny style one piece base. That way you can place the rings anywhere you want. I just recently bought a Warne one piece picatinny style base for a Remington 700 in 338 Win Mag.

Like this:

Attachments

• warne rail.jpg
    warne rail.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 385
We are putting DNZ one piece mounts on everything now.

No problems of any kind.

I don't understand how other people feel they can recommend what height rings the OP should get. I understand the brand recommendations as that is information he seeks. Recommending a specific height without seeing his cheek weld and his physical characteristics is like telling him he should buy pants with a size 28 inch waste without ever seeing him or knowing his physical characteristics. The only determination of ring height that can be made is that it be the height that naturally matches his cheek weld. Yes, objective size does too; but, if it is large enough you must raise your cheek weld, then you must use some sort of cheek riser.

Back