Looking for a good elk/deer .308 rifle

Boy that a big pasture! 308 caliber takes in everything between 30 cal carbine and biggest 300 magnum!

TiKka T3X is where I would start. Begara B14 would be second.

This thread has a bunch of discussion on this topic. Most mainstream rifles will have .308Win, 30-06 and 300winmag (the three most common .308 caliber cartridges) chamberings, but I assumed you meant .308 Win cartridge.

Sorry, forgot the referenced link:

I recently purchased a Bergara ridge SP (18”). I love the rifle and it was a tac driver the day I zeroed it a couple weeks ago. Prone off a sandbag. Last two shots of the sight in were touching in the bull. I’ll be running my can on it.978DE43C-8DCD-4595-AC81-0E701D8E3121.jpeg00BA71AD-3FE4-4DA3-9C04-E4CF0E5F7AE8.jpeg

Get a Tikka. There is literally nothing on the planet that will outshoot a 308Win Tikka out of the box AT THAT PRICE. A few Rem700 clones are trying really hard. I’m not sure they’re more accurate. They do offer substantial advantages if you intend to upgrade it in the future, so if you want to tweak it later, go with a 700 or clone(heavy on the clone if you want to be good out of the box before you work on it). Out of the box you aren’t likely to beat a Tikka without spending more money.

The only rifle I have in that range that I would recommend is my Weatherby Vanguard badlands. Sub $750, super smooth action, sub MOA all day, lightish weight, weatherproof and has a really good 2 stage trigger. The cerakote is excellent on it and it has the best synthetic stock I have ever felt. I happen to like the camo on it too but It's not everyone's cup of tea.

You might be able to get a Tikka for that price. The Weatherby someone suggested isn't going to make the cut as it retails for right at $900. T3x blued/black is $789, others that are under your $750 would be Howa, Winchester xpr, ruger American, Mossberg, savage and Remington 700 adl. Everything else is 800+

You might be able to get a Tikka for that price. The Weatherby someone suggested isn't going to make the cut as it retails for right at $900. T3x blued/black is $789, others that are under your $750 would be Howa, Winchester xpr, ruger American, Mossberg, savage and Remington 700 adl. Everything else is 800+
There are two relevant prices - the one you tell your wife (hey honey I’ll keep it under $750) and the final price that while over $750 is close enough that you don’t feel totally dishonest- $900 seems about right. ;)

The Tikka in .308 is hands down my favorite "all around/do everything" bolt action. Without a doubt, I would go that route. Super accurate and smooth functioning. Simply rock solid.

I call them the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

My daughter and I each have 20" T3s for elk/deer gun and they simply work great.
WWCXC3c.jpg

oxauACQ.jpg

vAProDh.jpg

Just did a quick search on Guns.com. You are limited in that price range. They dis have a Tikka compact some Remington 700s and plenty of Ruger Americans. If you could go up a 100then there're is a lot more to choose from. I have never owned a Ruger American but everyone that I know that has one says they are very accurate.

The Tikka in .308 is hands down my favorite "all around/do everything" bolt action. Without a doubt, I would go that route. Super accurate and smooth functioning. Simply rock solid.

I call them the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

My daughter and I each have 20" T3s for elk/deer gun and they simply work great.
WWCXC3c.jpg

oxauACQ.jpg

vAProDh.jpg
I actually did buy a T3 20" barrel for this hunt. I love it. Very tight shooting groups

At the time I put the above rifles together, there were not compact models or X models available, so I had standard T3s cut down. My gun was put together years ago. It wears a green McMillan Edge stock and Talley lightweight rings hold an original Nightforce compact 2.5-10x24 scope. The barrel was trimmed back to 20"s and a brake was put on it.

HyJFirF.jpg

It was essentially what I envisioned as my one perfect all around/do everything gun, and it has worked out quite well. It is certainly fantastic to carry as it does not weigh much.

I have killed everything from elk to jackrabbits with it.

dK9Eg2r.jpg

C4wmqRU.jpg

If it has a downside, I would say that the tradeoff to everything is that, though it is absolutely capable of shooting literally right in the .5 MOA/3 shot group range with handloads (155 grain Lapua Scenars) when carefully sandbagged, utilizing proper fundamentals, it is very difficult to shoot well when in the field with numb fingers in December and it is 15 below. Mechanical accuracy vs degraded personal ability and environmental factors definitely come into play then.

A 9# rifle would be and is far easier to shoot precisely. I have made 1 shot kills with it out to a shade over 600 yards, but normally most my shooting is in the low-mid 400s, and if given a preference, I would take 300 and closer, but late season elk hunts tend to produce shots in the 4s more often than not.

My daughters is set up in similar fashion, though hers wears the factory stock and has a fixed 6X SWFA, that is zeroed at 300 yards. It is a tack driving little rifle as well.

I really like .308 caliber rifles. Can anyone recommend some good ones under $750?
Just a rifle, or does that include optic? That definitely changes what's available.

I have a .308 Ruger American (in profile photo), so here's my experience. This one has been bombproof, seems to handle well and shoot where I point it, so long as I do my job.

HOWEVER- the first rifle I had was an early production run, and it had issues with not wanting to feed easily- essentially had to slam the bolt to get a round chambered and closed. Thinking it was a short head spacing. I went to Scheel's and they boxed it up to send out for service at Ruger. Customer service was amazing- they got back to me within a week, but suggested a "Destroy and Reissue". So after a bit of fiasco getting my driver's license updated, I filled out paperwork and got a brand new rifle. It has been lights out ever since with a 3-9x40 Nikon. Using 168gr Barnes Vortex to hunt with, practice with Federal Gold Medal 168gr since it's identical ballistics for half the price (and confirm with a couple Barnes before hunting season). I've taken 6 animals with it, and it's all been "Bang-Flop" results (including Saturday's antelope). No blood trailing.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back