Caribou Gear Tarp

Let's get to cooking!!

Amazing thread. I can't wait for the duck sausage/salami recipe. Do you have a favorite way of preparing duck? Waterfowl has been very hit or miss for me (usually more miss) I've had a few mallards and pintails I roasted whole come out good but if I try and pan fry or grill breast it turns out not so good.

I've got one more question. I use to strip the meat from all my front quarters and turn it into stew, jerky, and burger until I saw Steven Rinella butcher a front quarter into blade roast. Now I turn most my shoulders into blade roast and have ended up with a pile of them. I use the shank to cook osso buco and cook the blade roast the same as a pot roast. The blade roast cooked slow in a pot/crock pot with stock and some root vegetables is great but has got boring. Any recipes that could utilize the blade roast in a new way?

Heathens!!

I am with you man.. I have a degree in culinary arts and any talk of brisket on something other than a smoker or grill is crazy talk.. lol..I have friends in Texas that would never talk to me again if I told em I made a brisket in the oven.. hahaha.. That said I will admit that I don’t doubt kids method produces results.. I must admit I steam my pork ribs before I sear em on the grill with bbq sauce.. amazing.. as for the brisket..

Buy it from Costco whole.. 50-75 bucks

Rub
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano

Use all the rub and cover the brisket , place it in a aluminum pan and refrigerate overnight. put it on a 4-5 burner grill in the aluminum pan with only the outside burners on Med to high (Indirect grilling), you want the temp in the grill to be between 225-250. place a separate pan of water over the direct heat to keep moisture in the grill, fill as needed. Place smoker packs or use the smoker box to add smoke, (I use mesquite). Cook with indirect heat for 4-6 hours but only until the temperature reaches 190. Mop every 30 minutes with the following mop sauce combined..

16 oz white wine vinegar
16 is can beer
2 tablespoons garlic
2 tablespooons brown sugar
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

I have made this 100’s of times and it’s always amazing..

Last edited:
I am with you man.. I have a degree in culinary arts and any talk of brisket on something other than a smoker or grill is crazy talk.. lol..I have friends in Texas that would never talk to me again if I told em I made a brisket in the oven.. hahaha.. That said I will admit that I don’t doubt kids method produces results.. I must admit I steam my pork ribs before I sear em on the grill with bbq sauce.. amazing.. as for the brisket..

Buy it from Costco whole.. 50-75 bucks

Rub
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano

Use all the rub and cover the brisket , place it in a aluminum pan and refrigerate overnight. put it on a 4-5 burner grill in the aluminum pan with only the outside burners on Med to high (Indirect grilling), you want the temp in the grill to be between 225-250. place a separate pan of water over the direct heat to keep moisture in the grill, fill as needed. Place smoker packs or use the smoker box to add smoke, (I use mesquite). Cook with indirect heat for 4-6 hours but only until the temperature reaches 190. Mop every 30 minutes with the following mop sauce combined..

16 oz white wine vinegar
16 is can beer
2 tablespoons garlic
2 tablespooons brown sugar
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

I have made this 100’s of times and it’s always amazing..

Brisket on a grill......I bet it's delicious. Where did you go to school? I've never had a complaint about my brisket but I just might give your method a try.

amazing thread! a lot of what has been mentioned, i've done, and it's turned out fantastic! i especially love corned venison as well as turning it into pastrami.

i do have one question...other than jalepeno poppers, or slow roasting in a crock pot with bbq sauce...what do you recommend for goose breast???? you know...the stinky canadian ones... ;)

amazing thread! a lot of what has been mentioned, i've done, and it's turned out fantastic! i especially love corned venison as well as turning it into pastrami.

i do have one question...other than jalepeno poppers, or slow roasting in a crock pot with bbq sauce...what do you recommend for goose breast???? you know...the stinky canadian ones... ;)

I had a friend make a basic stew out of a Canadian goose once and it was pretty delicious....considering it was Canadian goose!! Charcuterie is another good way to use those things.

Amazing thread. I can't wait for the duck sausage/salami recipe. Do you have a favorite way of preparing duck? Waterfowl has been very hit or miss for me (usually more miss) I've had a few mallards and pintails I roasted whole come out good but if I try and pan fry or grill breast it turns out not so good.

I've got one more question. I use to strip the meat from all my front quarters and turn it into stew, jerky, and burger until I saw Steven Rinella butcher a front quarter into blade roast. Now I turn most my shoulders into blade roast and have ended up with a pile of them. I use the shank to cook osso buco and cook the blade roast the same as a pot roast. The blade roast cooked slow in a pot/crock pot with stock and some root vegetables is great but has got boring. Any recipes that could utilize the blade roast in a new way?

I would treat duck breast just like steak. Its a sin to go much past medium rare. Best thing to do is roast or pan fry with the fat on, at low temps, then remove the fat when eating. Check this out....whoever wrote it knows what they are doing.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/02/pan-seared-duck-breast.html

For the rest of the bird my favorite thing is to make duck confit. With that you can do a ton of things. I have also had duck jerky and thought it was quite tasty!! Smoked duck is also very good with the right brine. As for the blade roast....im fairly certain Rinella (and i agree) would tell you to cut those blade roasts up into steaks. Pan sear then, grill them, kabob them.......most roasts can be done this way.

Since you brought it up, time to share . . . .

4 tablespoons kosher salt (or sea salt)
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons herbes de Provence
1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika

Herbs de province (it's a French cooking thing)

2 tablespoons thyme
1 tablespoons marjoram
2 tablespoons summer savory
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon tarragon
1 tablespoon basil
1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon mint
1 teaspoon chervil
1 teaspoon lavender

Or you can get it at most grocery stores these days.

For all the waterfowl guys, we’ve had great success with corned goose breasts, goose pastrami, and goose brats. My favorite go-to for keeping on hand in the freezer is duck empanadas. Just treat it like any other red meat and don’t be afraid to experiment!

Outstanding thread Kid!

For all the waterfowl guys, we’ve had great success with corned goose breasts, goose pastrami, and goose brats. My favorite go-to for keeping on hand in the freezer is duck empanadas. Just treat it like any other red meat and don’t be afraid to experiment!

Outstanding thread Kid!

Thanks, HW!! Corned goose sounds delicious!! So does the goose pastrami!! Feel free to post your recipe(s).......and she is right guys.....experiment!! Just like anything else, practice makes perfect!!

4 tablespoons kosher salt (or sea salt)
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons herbes de Provence
1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika

Herbs de province (it's a French cooking thing)

2 tablespoons thyme
1 tablespoons marjoram
2 tablespoons summer savory
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon tarragon
1 tablespoon basil
1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon mint
1 teaspoon chervil
1 teaspoon lavender

Or you can get it at most grocery stores these days.

Outstanding. Does this have a shelf-life or do you mix up fresh each time?

Outstanding. Does this have a shelf-life or do you mix up fresh each time?

It will last on the counter as long as where you live isn't humid. Colorado is the driest place in the world so I just keep a bowl of it by my salt and pepper. Recipes are just a guideline. Add or subtract whatever you like or don't like!!

Great thread! I would love new ideas for pheasant other than smothering in bacon (my wife not a fan of bacon flavor) to keep moist and tender. And flavor systems that partner well with pheasant. I feel reasonable competent with with wild game meat, but wild poultry I have less confidence in.

Excellent thread, CO Kid.

Most years I end up with a whole lot of pheasants and grouse so I make a lot of sausage. If I only killed a handful I do other things, but especially in Spring when I've got a bunch in the freezer (or they are shot up), this is a great way to go. It is one of the few ways I've been able to enjoy Sage grouse:

I got this recipe from a Michael Symon book years ago (Top Chef, et al) and it is a huge hit. Can either make sliders or put it in tacos or really anything where you could use sausage. I make pickled red onions (pickled with a little Ancho chile) and usually some kind of sauce for serving - COKid is right, freeze everything before grinding:

2 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless upland game bird, cubed
1 pound pork fatback, cubed (I usually sub very fatty pancetta since it's easier to grab @ the store and it just tastes good. Normal Bacon tends to be too strong)
1/2 cup chopped fresh sage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
Small pinch of nutmeg
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1-2 tbsp Kosher salt (If using Pancetta, less salt, if using fatback, more)

1/2 cup cold whole milk
1/2 cup white wine, chilled

Crusty buns/pita/tortillas, for serving
Spicy brown mustard, for serving
Pickled Red Onions, for serving

Combine the bird meat, pork fatback, sage, garlic, chives, pepper, nutmeg, orange zest and salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a large plastic zip-top bag and refrigerate overnight.

Grind the marinated meat mixture through the small die plate into the chilled/frozen bowl of the stand mixer. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, then return the mixture to the mixer. Add the milk and wine and beat on medium speed using the frozen paddle attachment until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use. Freeze for up to 6 months (if using pancetta it's shorter since the fat is more volatile).

Excellent thread, CO Kid.

Most years I end up with a whole lot of pheasants and grouse so I make a lot of sausage. If I only killed a handful I do other things, but especially in Spring when I've got a bunch in the freezer (or they are shot up), this is a great way to go. It is one of the few ways I've been able to enjoy Sage grouse:

I got this recipe from a Michael Symon book years ago (Top Chef, et al) and it is a huge hit. Can either make sliders or put it in tacos or really anything where you could use sausage. I make pickled red onions (pickled with a little Ancho chile) and usually some kind of sauce for serving - COKid is right, freeze everything before grinding:

2 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless upland game bird, cubed
1 pound pork fatback, cubed (I usually sub very fatty pancetta since it's easier to grab @ the store and it just tastes good. Normal Bacon tends to be too strong)
1/2 cup chopped fresh sage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
Small pinch of nutmeg
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1-2 tbsp Kosher salt (If using Pancetta, less salt, if using fatback, more)

1/2 cup cold whole milk
1/2 cup white wine, chilled

Crusty buns/pita/tortillas, for serving
Spicy brown mustard, for serving
Pickled Red Onions, for serving

Combine the bird meat, pork fatback, sage, garlic, chives, pepper, nutmeg, orange zest and salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a large plastic zip-top bag and refrigerate overnight.

Grind the marinated meat mixture through the small die plate into the chilled/frozen bowl of the stand mixer. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, then return the mixture to the mixer. Add the milk and wine and beat on medium speed using the frozen paddle attachment until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use. Freeze for up to 6 months (if using pancetta it's shorter since the fat is more volatile).

Thank you and that sounds fantastic!! I'm stealing this one and adding it to my archives!! Have you tried this with both pheasant and grouse? If so, which did you prefer??

Outstanding thread Kid!

For the guys worried about the Canada geese.... I breast them out and cut any fat off of them. Dredge them in a cajun blackening seasoning and cook them in a screaming hot cast iron skillet with a little oil. Blacken them on both sides quickly, keeping the breasts to medium rare, and serve with a mango and green pepper chutney and a side of red beans and rice. They also cook nicely in jambalya. I grill the breast meat first just to get grill marks on them and cut them up into pieces and add at the end of the cooking since they will continue to cook in the rice. I've also had good luck simply cooking a bunch of them that I have in the freezer at once in a slow cooker for a long time and shred them up with BBQ sauce for sandwiches.

For the guys worried about the Canada geese.... I breast them out and cut any fat off of them. Dredge them in a cajun blackening seasoning and cook them in a screaming hot cast iron skillet with a little oil. Blacken them on both sides quickly, keeping the breasts to medium rare, and serve with a mango and green pepper chutney and a side of red beans and rice. They also cook nicely in jambalya. I grill the breast meat first just to get grill marks on them and cut them up into pieces and add at the end of the cooking since they will continue to cook in the rice. I've also had good luck simply cooking a bunch of them that I have in the freezer at once in a slow cooker for a long time and shred them up with BBQ sauce for sandwiches.

Soooo...when is my dinner invite, Cushman??

These sound tasty! Made me think of another one...

Goose stir fry. Slice the breasts thin, stir fry quickly with celery, carrots, water chestnuts, snow peas, some grated ginger and whatever else strikes your fancy. A little soy sauce and toasted almonds, serve over rice. I'm normally not a huge ginger fan, but waterfowl and ginger were made for each other!

For corned goose breast, I just subbed geese in for venison in Hank Shaw's corned venison recipe in Buck, Buck, Moose. For pastrami, I use his pastrami recipe here. Use the absolute largest goose breasts you can in the pastrami recipe. It's really hard to keep smaller ones (snow geese for example) from getting way too salty. I'm dialing it in, but it's taken a couple of tries. Even when on the salty side though, the flavor is outstanding.

I've been making sous vide Elk pastrami...my question is pink salt necessary? I have been adding it but adding nitrates makes me nervous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back