Yeti GOBOX Collection

Let's get to cooking!!

Great thread! I would love new ideas for pheasant other than smothering in bacon (my wife not a fan of bacon flavor) to keep moist and tender. And flavor systems that partner well with pheasant. I feel reasonable competent with with wild game meat, but wild poultry I have less confidence in.

You cant really go wrong with anythin Mr. Shaw does. He is a very talented culinarian!!
When making sausage always always freeze your ingredients AND the equipment you will use.
This recipe is my go to for any basic sausage recipe. Remember that recipes are just a guideline and as long as you're following the basic technique outlined in the recipe, the ingredients can change to your liking. This is directly from the Le Cordon Bleu text book of charcuterie.

Game meat: 3.5 #
Fatback: 1.5 #
Ground white pepper: 1T
Ground ginger: 1.5t
Ground nutmeg: 1.5t
Curing salt: .25t
Sugar: 2t
Sage .5t
Salt: 4t
Ice cold water: 8oz
Sheep casing rinsed: as needed

1. Spread the meat and fastback over a sheet pan or cookie sheet
2. Sprinkle the mixed up spices over the top and incorporate well
3. Grind the mixture using first a coarse then medium then fine die.
4. Mix the ground meat with a mixer or hand blender for about 60 seconds while adding the ice cold water
5. Test poach a spoonful to check for flavor and consistency.
6. Stuff into the casing at desired size and tie off ends
7. At this point I would cold smoke my sausages but you can now cook them however you choose.
8. Try to not eat it all in one sitting!!
Thanks!! Once I get settled from my upcoming move, I plan on making a batch of that!

COKID Just want to say thank you for starting this thread. Everyone gains from this. I now already have a recipe for sausage! I am the main cook in my house and will be using this thread as a resource for sure.

2 cups water
6 tablespoons of Morton quick tender (Wal-Mart has it)
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons pickling spice
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 bay leaf
6 cups cold water
3 – 5 pound boneless venison roast

Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil and add the spices, seasonings and sugar to dissolve the pull off the heat

Add that and the 6 cups cold water to a large container (2 gallon sized or larger). Place your roast into the brine mixture cover and plave in the fridge. Turn the meat each day for at least 5 days and as many as 7 days.

Using a crockpot or some sort of slow cooker, place the roast inside and cover with with water (or beef/chicken/venison stock) and cook on low for 7 to 10 hours.

Once it's fork tender remove it and allow it to rest for about 30 minutes at room temperature before slicing.

You can add potatoes and cabbage towards the end or even cook them in the slow cooker after you have pulled the roast.

Delicious!!

After I pull the meat from the bring I let it soak in straight water, changing it every couple of hours to de-salinate it. I have found that this takes away from some of the salty taste that can come from the brine. Especially if you plan on making pastrami with it since the smoke will exagerate the salt flavor.

After I pull the meat from the bring I let it soak in straight water, changing it every couple of hours to de-salinate it. I have found that this takes away from some of the salty taste that can come from the brine. Especially if you plan on making pastrami with it since the smoke will exagerate the salt flavor.

I agree 100%!!

COKID Just want to say thank you for starting this thread. Everyone gains from this. I now already have a recipe for sausage! I am the main cook in my house and will be using this thread as a resource for sure.

It's truly my pleasure and I will do my nest to answer every single question asked of me!! Please be sure to post your successes and failures!

Waterfowl... I usually smoke or jerky - with the occasional traditional in a cast iron.

What are your thoughts on waterfowl summer sausage or dry salami? Possible or craziness?

Absolutely possible!! I love duck in any and all forms!! It's a staple in French cooking. I have a friend I will talk to about a recipe or two for waterfowl summer sausage and salami!

Great thread! I would love new ideas for pheasant other than smothering in bacon (my wife not a fan of bacon flavor) to keep moist and tender. And flavor systems that partner well with pheasant. I feel reasonable competent with with wild game meat, but wild poultry I have less confidence in.

I am a big fan of pheasant! So there are 2 ways to use fat as a way to moisten animal protein. The first one is called barding which you have apparently already mastered. It involves strips of fat tied to your protein. The second is called larding. This involves injecting rendered fat into the protein before and during the cooking process. Have you ever thought about rendering the pheasant fat? I know it would require a lot of birds but it's delicious. Duck, goose, chicken fat....hell....pork or beef fat would work even. All you need is a larding needle. Its a great way to intruduce fat into a bird. Works for chicken, turkey, duck, quail....you name it.

Rosemary and thyme both go great with pheasant. In addition....sweet sauces, much like you would use on pork, also go great with pheasant. Cranberry, orange ect..... pheasant and pork are very similar in the way they cook and the flavor profiles that go well with them. Now i want some pheasant breast for dinner!! Damn!!

I've eaten brisket that melted in your mouth and have also had some way to chewy. I've never personally made one but would like to. Tell me the best way to get the melt in your mouth brisket. Thanks.

I've eaten brisket that melted in your mouth and have also had some way to chewy. I've never personally made one but would like to. Tell me the best way to get the melt in your mouth brisket. Thanks.

Brisket is very dependent on the type of animal, how it was stored, how old the animal is ect....i will tell you how I cook my brisket. I start by using a few tablespoons if oil (any will do but olive is my favorite) and cover the brisket with it. I use my go to rub (I'll share my secret if it interests you) very liberally. Then i use a vegitable oil and sear the crap out of the brisket on all sides. Set the seared brisket in a deep roasting pan and pour enough BEEF STOCK (water and broth are for rookies) that the brisket is about 1/3rd the way covered. Seal the hell out of it!! I use an oven safe plastic wrap then foil on top of that. Throw it in the over at about 225° until it's fork tender. Depending on the size and thickness of the cut....4 to 8 hours. I love smokers but this is the only way to cook a brisket, in my opinion.

Brisket is very dependent on the type of animal, how it was stored, how old the animal is ect....i will tell you how I cook my brisket. I start by using a few tablespoons if oil (any will do but olive is my favorite) and cover the brisket with it. I use my go to rub (I'll share my secret if it interests you) very liberally. Then i use a vegitable oil and sear the crap out of the brisket on all sides. Set the seared brisket in a deep roasting pan and pour enough BEEF STOCK (water and broth are for rookies) that the brisket is about 1/3rd the way covered. Seal the hell out of it!! I use an oven safe plastic wrap then foil on top of that. Throw it in the over at about 225° until it's fork tender. Depending on the size and thickness of the cut....4 to 8 hours. I love smokers but this is the only way to cook a brisket, in my opinion.

:eek: Blasphemy!!

Ha! I figured I would take some sh_t for this one. Maybe there is a way to combine the 2 techniques!!

I do my brisket 2 different ways. The first is very similar to yours only i don't sear the meat. I rub it down and place on a bed of vidalia onion in a dutch oven. I use a 50/50 mix of beef stock and lambrusco and pour in till the brisket is about half way covered. Cook at 275 for 6-8 hours. It always turns out super tender. Ill reduce the liquid with a bit of cornstarch to thicken for gravy.
I'll also smoke brisket for around 8 hours then drizzle with a bit of olive oil and double wrap in foil then in the oven at 225 or 250 for another 6 or 8. Turns out tender and easily sliced.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back