Lead ammo ban on public lands

Substantial? My calculators with average loads show about 3 inches of difference in drop at 500.

It's not apples to apples. The weight limitations are a bigger issue for me than the BC's, if they can get the weights up, the BC's will follow. However, that doesn't really work with copper vs lead. I'm no expert, but I think making a copper bullet with comparable weight to lead becomes difficult due to chamber size restrictions. If a true ban on lead is ever implemented, I'm sure we'll quickly see improvements in non-lead offerings as the market will demand it.

My experience with copper is that weight retention is significantly better than with lead. The loss in initial bullet weight is offset by the ability of the bullet to stay in one piece and retain more weight than a heavier lead bullet. I went from 160 accubonds to 145 LRX bullets for my 280. The accubonds were lucky to have 65% retained weight when recovered. I regularly get 90% from the Barnes LRX bullets I have recovered.

Just something else to consider when weighing the issue.

That was predictable and a thumbs up, looking forward to more deregulation across the board !!

The NRA has turned this into a big animal rights conspiracy to do away with hunting. The conflict is a money maker for them. It will be difficult for an R to support this even though there isn't much need to use lead for hunting.

The NRA has turned this into a big animal rights conspiracy to do away with hunting. The conflict is a money maker for them. It will be difficult for an R to support this even though there isn't much need to use lead for hunting.

As congress moves to eliminate increased public participation in public land management, Zinke signs an order to eliminate a last minute rule on ammo.

which one gets the coverage?

Feel punked yet?

To hell with the NRA, and Steve Daines can shut up too. So give me hell cause without the NRA I wouldn't even be hunting because the Dems would have outlawed guns by now, right? Daines can't resist an opportunity to open his big mouth and act as if he invented hunting and fishing, he's a worthless little twerp IMO.

I don't know whether the elimination of lead for hunting and fishing is a good idea, but I'm leaning that maybe it is at some point in time, but I do know this; any attempt to reduce any type of pollution that threatens the air, water, wildlife and eventually our own health is going to be opposed by this Administration at every turn. Hell, maybe they'll propose we start using lead in paint again, asbestos in shingles etc.

I don't care that the order got rescinded. It was last minute and should be pulled back for better public participation.

I just hope Zinke does the right thing and tells congress to not pass a CRA on BLM 2.0 and set us back 30 years on public land management.

This is wagging the dog stuff.

The key for sportsman to switch to non-lead ammunition for hunting will start by providing sportsman with the correct information about non-lead ammunition use.

http://www.huntingwithnonlead.org/

This website is a great source of information on how to switch to non-lead ammunition for hunting purposes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back