NM bill tracker-STATE GAME COMMISSION CHANGES

mrcowboy

NM folks, please take a look at HB0023

The bill would make changes to how the commission is appointed. Personally, I believe that changing this commission appointee process could be good, however I am a skeptic of the bill's sponsor ( Mathew McQueen, Galisteo). Mr. McQueen was part of SB32 (Roxy's law). He was one of the sponsors. Roxy's law banned trapping on public lands. I believe Roxy's law allowed the door to be open to more bans in the future. I'm curious as to other folk's thoughts. If you are a NM resident or hunt or fish in NM, please pay attention to this bill regarding appointments to the commission. The reform could be good by taking all the appointee power away from the governor but Mr. Queens potential motive kind of worries me. I don't personally know him, but he strikes me as anti hunting by his stance on issues.

Thanks for calling this out. NM residents and non-residents who care about hunting in NM should keep an eye on this. Please update as this continues through the legislative process. I would be interested to hear the opinion of some of the hunting/wildlife conservation orgs in NM. They may have a better perspective on the intent of this bill.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back