Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Laying Steel!

Congrats! That has got to feel pretty good after all that we have gone through to get a season. I have four sets out, but as it is my first time targeting K9s I am looking at this year as a learning experience.

I got to be a genuine wolf hugger tonight! Pretty cool experience even if it wasn't my wolf.

Great job and pics too.I've been a trapper all my life,but that must be a heck of a rush to walk up
on him.I know it made your heart jump!And the other wolves around,I've had coyotes do the same
thing a few times.Probably a mate with the yotes though.Are you resetting that same spot or movin
to another area? P.S great cats too,man thats some thick fur!

We have lesser brant, lesser prairie chickens, lesser scaup. We have mini horses, mini mules, and who knows what other lesser/mini versions of species.

In my world, we also have wolves, lesser wolves (coyotes). Then there are mini wolves, like this one. Kind of stange color phased wolf, but most of these mini wolves vary from red to gray.

For a red fox, this is a pretty big one. Probably one of the bigger males I have ever caught. The fur is amazing, as it should be this time of year. They often start rubbing by late February, making the guard hairs more sparse than one would like.

IMG_0857-001.JPG

Went out on Sunday and set a couple canine sets. Damn ground is frozen harder than ...... (better not use Uncle Larry's analogy). Anyhow, ground is froze really hard. Broke my stake driver on the third set when I hit a huge rock about four inches down, so I am only going with three sets, until I get that fixed this week.

This guy was doing his best to hide from me. Given the huge numbers of coyotes in this area, hiding was a good idea on his part. Coyotes and fox get along about like wolves and coyotes. Was glad to find this fully prime guy in one piece. I did see a big Golden Eagle eyeing him out from a ridge above.

A pack of wolves came through the day before I set these few traps. Hope one of them make a mistake and decide to check out my operation.

Mostly, these are coyote sets. I am using one size smaller traps than I would use for pure wolf sets. I know I will mostly catch coyotes and red fox. To make sure I will hold a wolf, I have another trap set off to the side and a little back, so if a wolf gets in the first trap, he will be doubled up by the time he walks around much. Just don't want to use huge traps where fox might be.

I have the pan tension set differently on both traps. The close trap is normal for coyotes and fox, thus this guy was caught. The trap set further off has a very stiff pan tension, designed to spring when something of wolf size steps on it. This fox did not even spring the othe trap, even though he stepped all over it.

Forgot how much I like trapping, not getting time to do much of it. Lots of work to rig traps, boil them, adjust them, then go out and make canine sets. Water trapping is always so much easier.

Trapping makes my mind work hard to figure out where they will travel, then knowing where they will travel, getting that foot to step exactly where I have placed the trap. In addition to the exact attention to every detail of scent and odor needed for canines. Guys who trap know what I am talking about.

Having trapped a lot when I was younger, I think it was the best foundation for my knowledge that I have applied to my hunting. Most guys I know who did some trapping in their younger days are lethal when it comes to hunting.

I love the crossover between the two, and the last few days, even with only a few traps out, has reminded me that I need to do this more often. Good for the mind, the body (when you have sets up on these windy ridges and need to pack your gear up there every other day), and the soul.

Excited to go check again on Thursday. Hope to get out some more sets that day, making things more interesting. These wolves come through about every 6 to 10 days. Next time they come to harass these elk, they had best not check out these flat sets. Could be detrimental to their elk chasing days.

Very nice foxy

. I've got my eye on another wolf set location. A big old feller keeps marking this big old pine tree.

The amount of equipment, and preparation to trap keeps our minds working the whole time.

I have no problem memorizing where my sets are. The process of setting is tougher, that's where I sometimes forget things.

I've had a good season so far. Hope to finish strong.

I'm sure a bunch of us would appreciate it if you could go into more detail on how your setting your traps for wolves from selecting an area to the actual set.

Great catch Randy. Nothing like the smell of a hard earned red. As you said, the larger canines love, or hate reds. I always put in a flat set, outside of the catch circle. Good luck.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back