Laying Steel!

shoots-straight

Just thought I'd voice my pleasure and excitement, with the opportunity to lay a little steel to trap a wolf or two. As many of you fellas know, this has indeed been a hell of a ride to getting to this point.

Years of injunctions, public meetings, and the never ending Internet battles, have taken place, many that we've endured for the last 15 years. I feel a very special privilege and responsibility in getting this opportunity. I'm hopeful that we trappers represent ourselves and our prey in a very respectful manner.

Who else is setting in the AM?:D

I'm not a trapper, but curious to know what kind of set you use for wolves?

"Add some variations to that and maybe use their apex habits against them."

What do you mean by their apex habits?

Be extra careful when putting out your sets, everything I've heard is they are very smart with regards to scent, disturbances, etc.

Apex habits? I suspect you would use coyote urine or coyote/wolf gland lures. Pee post.

Wolves are very territorial and do not like other canines in their territory. (IE Why they kill coyotes). If a canine marks his territory, (Think the neighborhood fire hydrant), other canines will mark the territory over the top of the interloper.

If you set up a pee post in a wolf territory, the interloper will tick him/her off. He will pee over the interlopers scent.

I'm hopeful that we trappers represent ourselves and our prey in a very respectful manner

Shoots, personally I'm glad you and others are out there trapping. 'Not sure what you can do to influence other trappers, but a problem has already arisen south of Bozeman. "Trapping scare raises concerns" is a letter to the editor written by Kari Swenson, DVM, who as a young lady was abducted and shot by the "Mountain Men" Don and Dan Nichols near Big Sky. She has gained some celebrity status around Bozeman and is highly respected, so when she speaks or writes, folks pay attention. Recently her dog was caught in a leg hold trap set near a trail up off the Hyalite Canyon. Luckily the young nimrods who foolishly set a trap in the most popular recreation area around Bozeman were near at hand and released Dr. Swenson's dog, but she is expressing a warning to other dog owners and to recreationists to be cautious of trappers. She also expressed a suggestion to become educated about traps and about trapping regulations.

If you have some kind of trapper communication network it would be good to emphasize the need for safety, especially in high-use recreation areas. 'Just sayin.

Shoots, personally I'm glad you and others are out there trapping. 'Not sure what you can do to influence other trappers, but a problem has already arisen south of Bozeman. "Trapping scare raises concerns" is a letter to the editor written by Kari Swenson, DVM, who as a young lady was abducted and shot by the "Mountain Men" Don and Dan Nichols near Big Sky. She has gained some celebrity status around Bozeman and is highly respected, so when she speaks or writes, folks pay attention. Recently her dog was caught in a leg hold trap set near a trail up off the Hyalite Canyon. Luckily the young nimrods who foolishly set a trap in the most popular recreation area around Bozeman were near at hand and released Dr. Swenson's dog, but she is expressing a warning to other dog owners and to recreationists to be cautious of trappers. She also expressed a suggestion to become educated about traps and about trapping regulations.

If you have some kind of trapper communication network it would be good to emphasize the need for safety, especially in high-use recreation areas. 'Just sayin.

I see many people that shouldn't be packing rifles during hunting season. The same goes for any outdoor activity we do. These boys were not setting for wolves. They would have had to go through the class, and it repeatedly hammered home ethics, and education on were, and when to set.

We tried to get a trappers education course bill through in the last legislative session, the R's killed it. Go figure.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back