Late Season Wy

Gonewest

How is the antelope hunting the end of October? Is it possible to find them on public land or have most of them been pushed to private. We might be going to Idaho for mule deer since we didn't draw Montana this year. We're thing about stopping for a couple of days on our way back home and try a short antelope hunt. None of us have hunted antelope before and it sounds like fun:). Is the hunting ok that time of year?

Bigger herds, leaner bucks with scraped up capes, but it is good hunting. They can run, but they can't hide.

I would say that around 85% of the antelope are shot within the first 2 weeks of the season. Many units are void of antelope hunters in October. Obviously in type 2 late units that have 2 separate seasons there will be hunters the first 2 weeks of the 2nd season.

Antelope hunting is fun no matter when you go! As JM77 mentioned above they start getting into large winter herds in mid to late October. That often means more eyes watching and more difficult stalks. Some bucks tend to come out of hiding that may be tougher to find earlier in the season. It's sometimes easier to field judge bucks when you have several bucks in a group to compare against. Some bucks may have scraped up capes but capes on late season bucks are pretty amazing with longer and thicker hair.

Some road access can be difficult if there is drifted snow or super muddy conditions...really depends upon the unit and weather. If you are flexible with dates you may want to avoid days with nasty weather. It can get pretty brutal if it's snowing and the wind is blowing. You may want to bring chains and shovels in case it gets super muddy or deep snow? Antelope winter migration can vary from 1 unit to the next. Some units may be full of antelope in September and may have deep snow that drives them totally out of the area in Oct/Nov...really depends upon the unit and snow. This can vary from year to year. Obviously some units may have a lot more antelope that migrate into them if there is deep snow in Oct/Nov....so may be better?

I really don't think you need to worry about hunting pressure in October. There may be a few guys that wait until then to combine deer plus antelope hunting. I would expect more bucks to wander off private onto public land later in the season. Have fun but be prepared in case the weather turns for the worse!

Thanks for the replies!

I have a ton of research to do before the app deadline. I wasn't prepared to not draw in Montana this year. That will not happen again:). Hunting the West is kinda an addiction. I wish I would have started in my early 20's instead of around 40. I coach football so coming earlier in the season isn't an option. I've been reading this forum for years. Finally decided to join. It's a great community here.

Buddy and I took our boys to a leftover area with difficult Access in '14 and saw way more pronghorn than hunters. They were super weary but it was a super fun hunt. It was the middle of the month not the end.

Agree with jims assessment. One thing to remember is that antelope shed the horn sheaths after the rut. You may see some bucks with stubby looking horns, just the horn core left. Antelope sheaths are a cemented hair material. I shot a good buck in mid October in eastern Montana, and when I grabbed the horns to drag him off the prairie the sheaths came off in my hands!!! The taxidermist glued them back on for the mount. FWIW.

Last edited:
I echo the above advice. This past two years I hunted them mid-to-late October. Larger herds, very spooky, colder and windier, sometimes wetter, but almost no one else out there. Getting to be my favorite time to hunt them.

In the last 10 years I've hunted Antelope in October in Wyoming 4 different years. I've also hunted them is September. I think the others have given you some good advice. If you can consistently make a 300 yard shot, it will make it a much easier hunt.

Last edited:
They are pretty spooky. Be ready for long shooting. When we hunted them in October, their buffer zone was about 4-500 yards. Still plenty of goats around though.Have fun.

How late does the season on most units run? The information I've looked at shows the anticipated season opener (Sept. 15th), but doesn't show the close date.

We hunt an area open until Nov. 14. Big herds but not necessarily more wary, but lots more eyes. Just don't wait til the very last week, that brings out every hunter who hasn't filled their tag.
The horn sheaths will definitely start pulling off in November.
Weather can be snow and cold or warm and windy. Usually the snow has not piled up enough yet to totally cut off access, but road closures can be the biggest problem- highways that is (I-80).
Opening and closing dates are posted on the website under the "new antelope hunting seasons" on the regulations page.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back