Late Ice Pike Fishing

Buschy

The late ice pike fishing has been fantastic on Lake Sacagawea! There are some strong age classes of fish and lots of them. Add a sunny day with no wind, a few kids, and you have the perfect recipe for a good time!

Pic 1.jpg
IMG_2301.jpg

The pike were in 2-4 feet of water and smelt on tip-ups was the ticket. Lots of action, with some of the fish up to 13 pounds. They have been catching fish up to 20 pounds recently, but we never got any that big to cooperate.

IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG
IMG_2298.jpg

Pic 2.jpg
Pic 3.jpg

We were the only ones on the bay all day. Trying to keep 12 tip-ups baited and in the water was a challenge. And before you ask, yes we cleaned fish until midnight. It was worth it, lots of good eats in the freezer!

Looks like a blast!! Great to see the kids enjoying it. Congrats to all!

Good fun. I often say, "It is a lot easier to pack out a limit of fish than a limit of deer." You may be testing the limits of that axiom.

Good day out! I love eating pike. The only ones that give them a bad rap is those who probably don't know how to fillet them.

It's amazing! I run my boat left right and center of lakes and on a good day match what you caught out of a hole!!! :D

Looks to be a great day! Grats!

Looks like a great time! I could maybe even man-up and handle ice fishing from the looks of the weather and action in those photos. Congrats!

lots of nice fish there! had to be a blast for the kids. I don't know if you've ever had pickled northern, but it is great!

What a day on the ice. I am down to just a couple of pike meals. Jealous. Some real fatties in there.

Color me jealous Buschy as I grew up fishing the Jim River and have to say I REALLY miss fishing northerns.

How thick was the ice? I talked to a guy who was fishing on a lake 30 mi east of here and said he was down to the handles on Sunday. He had to clear the ice chips to reach water. We need some rain to soften the ice.

Back