Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Last Chance Elk Help

I saw a nice bull here and i think it's within 100 miles of where you live.
44°58'35.37"N 110°41'59.54"W there shouldn't be too many people around at the moment.
Now that i have supplied this information i expect to be paid to join you on your hunt.
Now it's black Friday so i am off shopping with my wife because i love the inner city shopping thing.
Best of luck Gerald if i don't make it over in time.
Cheers
Richard

Just a tad bit more than 100 miles, but I have a great spot here in Michigan that you could probably get an Elk at. You can even ride in my $500 truck, but you have to keep the window down because of the exhaust leak under the seats.

Hi everyone,
My name is Gerald Martin and I need your help. Since everyone knows that elk hunting gets better later in the season, I've decided to wait until now to get serious about hunting for my bull. I am a hard core hunter, as hard core as some of the semi-famous (cough,cough) guys that consistently post pics of their 330" bulls year after year.
I am looking for a spot that I can kill a mature six point bull. If anyone could tell me which road to drive, I have tomorrow and Saturday to hunt and I am willing to go great distances to kill my elk. I have a full tank of gas and would consider driving up to 100 miles if the bull was big enough. Please don't bother to mention roads that lots of other hunters will be driving on because I crave solitude almost as much as I want a big elk. Also, I can find those types of roads on my own and they don't seem to have many mature bulls standing beside them.
I'm prepared for my hard core adventure with turkey sandwiches and a big thermos of coffee.
Also, since I don't want to appear selfish and interested in only my success, I would be willing to take one other Hunttalker with me on this hunt. Of course it would be understood that you would drive your rig because I've done all the hard work finding a good location to shoot a bull.
So, fellow Hunttalkers, I'd like to thank you in advance for all your responses and help. If you prefer, you can private message me your secret spots.

If your willing to trade pick up for a short chopper ride I know a place that might hold a big bull? Just need your gps and a pair of wire cutters to remodel some dodgy cattle fencing and I think you can get back in the game pretty quick.

No matter the outcome of your hunt remember it's all about the journey, but I wouldnt shoot anything less then a 370" bull, Montana is known as the land of the Giants for good reason.

There is a real nice 6x6 just down the road from me and it's only High Fence if the Fence is behind the Elk, if you get between the bull and the fence it's pasture shooting. Much more Manly. John

Yellowstone is a good starting point. Not that far from you either. Just wear snow camo and stay hidden from park trucks.:D

Clocks tickin you better get out there. i'm too far away to be much help

Don't guys in Montana post on Craigslist when they need help finding animals?

Cush, I really think Gerald was going bear den photog'n and wanted you to be the decoy.

Made it back. Didn't kill an elk. Thanks for nothing.
KHunter, pretty sure that hunting spot would get my hall pass revoked permanantly.

Does that $5000 spot come with a 370" bull? Havegunwilltravel has encouraged me to set my standards higher.

I heard the Bison Range or the western side of the indian reservation are good places to hunt elk.

I heard the Bison Range or the western side of the indian reservation are good places to hunt elk.

Well within my 100 mile limit. That was already on my radar and a distinct possibility. I do exhibit a severe allergic reaction to being scalped though. Does anyone know the recent disposition of the natives?

No one would tell me which road to drive. The truck was nice and comfy. Too bad I wasn't in the truck. The coffee and handpies did not survive the day.

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014 294.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 294.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 191
Moist Mode. "Keep Sloshing."

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014 295.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 295.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 188
I did take pity on a local newb and helped him fill his buck tag. He's hunted with other guys all season and no luck. One day with me and "Boom".
Of course, I made him drive since I suggested the spot. Said he wants to do an easy hunt tomorrow. Didn't invite me....

Hope he doesn't get mad at me for stealing his thunder. I know there was a good possibility of a magazine deal for him with this buck.

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014 290.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 290.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 187
The hunter/gatherer in me is coming out strong this season. I tried my best to bag a snowshoe rabbit on the trek out, but he ran before I could get a clean headshot. How far is too far to shoot when you are hunting snowshoes with a 30-06?

I did take pity on a local newb and helped him fill his buck tag. He's hunted with other guys all season and no luck. One day with me and "Boom".
Of course, I made him drive since I suggested the spot. Said he wants to do an easy hunt tomorrow. Didn't invite me....

Hope he doesn't get mad at me for stealing his thunder. I know there was a good possibility of a magazine deal for him with this buck.

It's always nice to take the inexperienced and hopeless out like that, good on ya Gerald.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pam Fetzner
Back