Caribou Gear

KY Archery draw now allows cow harvest

Had they suspended it there for a while? It's been several years since I've applied there, but when I did I always put in for cow tags.

Never was suspended. They made some tweaks this year, though. The archery/crossbow tag will now be either sex. Additionally, they're going to a unit system whereas it used to be an additional application and drawing for limited entry areas (which amounted to the coal reclamation sites where the elk act like cattle) after the initial lottery.

Never was suspended. They made some tweaks this year, though. The archery/crossbow tag will now be either sex. Additionally, they're going to a unit system whereas it used to be an additional application and drawing for limited entry areas (which amounted to the coal reclamation sites where the elk act like cattle) after the initial lottery.
So do you get to choose unit or is it randomly assigned if you draw?

I have to remember to put in for lottery ticket for this. I doubt I'll ever draw but if I did I'd be ecstatic because it's not to far away from me

Shoot me a PM if any of you fellas are lucky enough to draw. I should be able to point you in the right direction.

If you haven't put in yet, the Kentucky deadline for non-residents is Tuesday.

(Residents, I'm sorry you've already missed out. No need for you to apply, my allocation pool doesn't need further dilution. Move along. Nothing to see.)

I was looking at tag numbers seems they have been cut in half since last time I checked anyone know the reasons? Hopefully they are trying to allow more growth in the herd?

One reason for the reduction is there was a change in tag structure. Previously, there were four tag pools: Bull rifle, cow rifle, bull archery/xbow, and cow archery/xbow. This year, they combined the archery tags into an either-sex tag. So they dropped the total number to be conservative until they see how the new structure works out. I joke about diluting the pool, but with these changes, as well as shorter seasons and a new hunt zone system, I'm not sure if this year will be better or worse. It might actually be better to not draw for a year or two until they work out the new structure.

You hear a bunch of griping that the number have declined. No doubt they're wary now and not acting like cattle on strip mines. But the aerial surveys allegedly don't show a decline in number, they're just harder to hunt.

Good I knew they would get a little smarter after a few years. Just glad numbers haven't dropped good news. I'm just across the line in VA we are around 200-300 animals now I think and they are doing great so far.

Results will be announced May 18. I just know I will draw an archery tag for the week my wife convinced me to book a cruise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back