Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kids & Catfish

Brittany Chukarman

Had a fun charter today. A dad with 2 boys 8 and 11. The catfishing was as hot as the weather which got up around 108. Usually the summer cats slow down during the heat of the day but not today. Spent the middle of the day swimming and catching bluegill. On the way in we hit a couple spots for cats and got right back into them. Round 2 to with the same crew tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 416
Awesome! My 6yo hooked and landed a 4#ish channel cat that he caught on a cricket crankbait last week! Like a dunce, I didn't have a camera with me.

Thanks again for the reports and I would appreciate any advice on what to look for in a fishing pontoon as the wife is convinced we are buying one for next year!

looks like it was a great day. Those fillets will be nice. . .beer batter, peanut oil = yummy!!
What were you using for bait?

Joe H : Like others have said, they are good eating. I like them best when they're bled, iced down, filleted then trimmed. We trim all the glossy fat and brownish colored meat off the outside of the fillet. Takes some time but it's worth it.

Carrion C : There hasn't been a really strong spawn since 2005. Drastic spring water fluctuations have really been devastating to the crappie. We targeted crappie yesterday morning and caught 6 before switching to cats. They were big, up to 14", but there's just not many of them left.

1 pointer : My boat is the Parti-Craft fishing model put out by Godfrey Marine Group. I believe it's made in Indiana. It has 4 fishing chairs, railing all around, pop-up porta potti room, shade canopy, chaise lounge, 2 side doors and a front center door. I've added a pontoon mount trolling motor, tackle cabinet, rod racks attached to the tackle cabinet and another set in the motor well. With loading bunks on the trailer it loads really easy. Mine is a 20' with a 60hp Suzuki 4 stroke. You might get by with less HP but to give you an idea it takes me about an hour to travel 17 miles. For a fishing toon I would look for one with all the features you like but still have a fairly open floor plan.

Rut J : We used cut bait, crappie , bluegill or squawfish, on circle hooks 5-6' under a bobber.

Thanks for the insight! We are just starting window shopping and I'm starting to get an idea of what I want, which is exactly what you have on your boat! The info on speed with the motor size was a big help. I'm thinking no less than 40hp and propbably no more than 90hp. We're not planning on skiing and there's not a whole lot of lakes here in IN that are longer than 17 miles... ;)

Joe H : Like others have said, they are good eating. I like them best when they're bled, iced down, filleted then trimmed. We trim all the glossy fat and brownish colored meat off the outside of the fillet. Takes some time but it's worth it.
Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the photos and info.

I didn't like catfish until a few years ago, when I started caring for it like you describe here. Done that way, I'll put it on par with, or better than crappie fillets.

How do you bleed them out? Do you do that while they're on ice or before?

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the photos and info.

I didn't like catfish until a few years ago, when I started caring for it like you describe here. Done that way, I'll put it on par with, or better than crappie fillets.

How do you bleed them out? Do you do that while they're on ice or before?

If I can keep up I bleed them on a heavy cord stringer over the side of the boat. As soon as they're bled out they go into the box. When they're coming to fast I stick them and put them right into the box. It does make a mess.

Back