PEAX Equipment

KEEN Boots? Any thoughts

I feel strongly that Keen's have their place. I have never used a pair of their work boots, so I can't comment on some of the experiences above. They are one of the few companies that offer a vented (non-water proof) boot. I have watched so many hikes and hunts handicapped because people think they need a water proof boot. If water can't get in, then water can't get out. If you are hiking hard you will sweat a huge amount, effectively leaving you feet in moisture for a long period of time. It does not matter which socks you are wearing this will make your feet feel like they are covered in blisters. Even the best membrane (e.g. Gore-Tex) can not pass near enough moisture to keep this from happening.

That being said, out of the vented boots, that I could find, Keen was one of the more sturdy boots you could buy without spending a huge amount of money. I am on my second pair in 6 years. Keen has habit of wrapping rubber fingers up the side of the sole which always seems to come loose. I was pretty disappointed when this happened on my first pair so I emailed customer service and they gave me credit to buy another pair, while allowing me to keep the boots. After super gluing the fingers back on, I continued to use the boots for another hunting season. I now use the second set for dry weather hunting and first set for yard work. I have wore them everywhere from a Mongolian Ibex hunt and elk in the Rock Mountains to antelope in the high plains with very few complaints.

I have packed out a number of deer and elk wearing Keens and they do fine. I am one of those people that does not enjoy his Kenetreks. I have put a lot of miles in my Kenetreks and they still wear on my heels and leave my feet aching from feeling like I am walking on a board (in my opinion their soles are way too stiff). I am not trying to create a fight, so please don't see me as being critical of anyone above, but I know LOTS of people that backpack hunt in light hikers and/or tennis shoes without a problem. In a recent post by Cameron Hanes I noticed that he hunts in something very similar in warm weather. I havent heard of too many people that put more demands on a pair of boots/shoes than Cameron.

Keene are the only hikers I've ever had that fit my feet properly. All others have blistered my feet pretty badly. I have funny shaped feet, though. One is a half size bigger than the other and they're very wide with a high instep. Keens tend to run wide so I don't have to buy oversized boots. Lots of people are calling them junk, but for me its junk that works. Not the most hardy design, but they do ok for the price.

Also, before the snow starts to fly, my footgear for hunting is usually a pair of Saucony jogging shoes. Which also tend to fit my goofy feet because they run wide.

Back