Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

KEEN Boots? Any thoughts

indiana35

I've been a long time Lowa Renegade GTX boot guy... Any one a fan or experience with KEEN Boots? Looking at them, different waterproof liner that I'm not familiar with. Appreciate any thoughts? Thanks

In my experience Keens are for people who act like they hike and just walk around town or on flat maintained gravel/paved trails. Every pair has fallen apart within a few weeks of wearing. Other experiences may vary

Good boots are a must and risking it on inferior boots could break a good hunt

Last edited:
Mthunter, a huge Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to hear. Back to good old Lowa Renegade for me. Thanks Again!

I like them, lots of guys are using them on jobstes, every day in a lot tougher conditions than a weekend hike. Tried them after watching for awhile and I'm glad I did. Can't kill them..

I have a pair of hikers and a pair of sandals, like them both. I'm by no means saying that they're good for hunting or extreme hiking but they suit my needs pretty well. I usually just wear them for day hikes or running around with my dog.

I love the sandals, they're probably on my feet 1/2 the time in the summer. Good for wet wading, bike riding, and comfortable enough to walk around all day. They have started falling apart recently, and they started stinking, but to be fair they're probably close to 4 years old.

I have a pair of their waterproof sandals... Thank God they are waterproof, too! Otherwise my toes might get wet wearing them...

attachment.php

I am on my second year of a pair of Targhees. While I wouldn't say they are for any extreme (think sheep/goat) terrain, I have had great results with them. They are holding up well and are very comfortable. They have big toe boxes if you have wideish feet. As a bonus I bought them through LL Bean so I have the "forever" guarantee as well. I have nothing against Kennetreks or Lowas or any of the like but I would also say there is a right tool for each task. Just something to think about.

I am on my second year of a pair of Targhees. While I wouldn't say they are for any extreme (think sheep/goat) terrain, I have had great results with them. They are holding up well and are very comfortable. They have big toe boxes if you have wideish feet. As a bonus I bought them through LL Bean so I have the "forever" guarantee as well. I have nothing against Kennetreks or Lowas or any of the like but I would also say there is a right tool for each task. Just something to think about.

Second pair of Targhees here as well. While not suitable for mountaineering, they have been through a lot of over country travel. No complaints.

I will add, they have lots of models, some of which sell cheap. Not familiar with those, or the boots.

Ha.....I'll be that guy, I guess. I sold my Kennetreks when I couldn't get them to fit properly and they created the worst blister imaginable. Just didn't fit my feet well at all. I ended up settling on Keen Durand (all leather) hiking boots.....been in them for the three seasons now. They are VERY comfortable, still waterproof, and are stiff enough for my backpacking needs.

I have a pair of their waterproof sandals... Thank God they are waterproof, too! Otherwise my toes might get wet wearing them...

attachment.php

I bought a pair of these when they first came out, I've always chuckled about the "waterproof" claim. But they have been in a lot of water all over the USA and Mexico, and they are still going strong. But the wife made me buy a new pair to wear into town.

On another note about Keen's. We learned a neat trick with the kids when they started going mobile - buy used keens on ebay, kids wear them until they grow out of them, sell them on ebay again for what we paid. It's not like they got near worn out in the time it took to grow out of them..

I have a pair of the Keen Targhee hiking boots, while I haven't had them very long, they are comfortable and I'm happy with them so far. My Keens are fairly short, 5"?, if I'm hunting in rough terrain or where there's a lot of cactus I'll keep using my Lowa Tibets.

I have two pair of Keen's, very comfortable and light. They are good for barbecuing and short day hunts, fishing etc but my feet would explode if I tried offroading with weight in a pack in them.

They are OK but definitely not in the same class as Lowa Renegades, but what else would you expect for half the price? :)

Stick with the Lowas! Keens are not good. Also my podiatrist in Nevada and my brother in law's in Wyoming both said stay away from Keens.

I have used Keens for 2 full seasons of pheasant hunting. They have held up really well. They are still fully waterproof and lightweight. They fit my feet well from day 1. I don't mountain hunt as some folks here do, but where I pheasant hunt is thick and nasty - not on any path. I am happy with the performance of my Keens.

I'm still on my first pair of Kenetrek's Mountain extreme's. Notice I said First pair, and there heading to northern BC for the second time in nine days for moose!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back