NEW SITKA Ambient 75

It shouldn't have happened, but...

std7mag

Yesterday I went for a trek through the woods, scouting for a new spot for deer season. I was about 3 miles from the truck, deep in the woods, air oppressively thick and still. Not a sound to be heard, except my own panting. I decided what the heck, and pulled out my cell phone. (my ring tone is an elk bugle). Volume up to max, I triggered the elk bugle... About 30 seconds later, I got a response back!! :eek:

Ended up seeing about 50 elk yesterday.. Out west, not a big deal. Here in Pennsylvania, big deal!! Antlers on the males about 12-18" already...

Thought I would share...

Thats awesome, I hope to be able to hear that for myself in Va one day. The herd is currently only in three counties plus transient animals from other states.

Very cool. I went up to the elk center last fall. Pretty neat experience. I'm actually surprised how many people in PA either #1 Don't even know that we have elk. or #2 Think that our elk heard is inside of some giant fenced enclosure.

I'm not sure about for elk, but in general i think electronic calls are only allowed for coyotes here. Like i said, i was miles away from anyone, and i wasn't actively hunting.

Thats awesome, I hope to be able to hear that for myself in Va one day. The herd is currently only in three counties plus transient animals from other states.

Not to change the subject here but a good friend on mine told me yesterday he received a call for a study. He is in a neighboring county to the VA elk restoration area and owns quite a spread. The survey was basically his take on elk as a land owner and would he allow stocking of elk on the property yada yada. I hope they are considering expanding the elk area further.

Not to change the subject here but a good friend on mine told me yesterday he received a call for a study. He is in a neighboring county to the VA elk restoration area and owns quite a spread. The survey was basically his take on elk as a land owner and would he allow stocking of elk on the property yada yada. I hope they are considering expanding the elk area further.

I agree it time to expand if we can. It has never made any sense that we spend money on restoration but let elk in other areas be shot with a deer tag. Why not take advantage of other states and their elk restoration efforts.

Relax warden wytex.

hahaha I would love to receive a fine for using a cell phone ring tone to elicit a response from a bull elk out of season. I hope the local justice of the peace would find it as comical as I do.

Come on people, was a legit question..
I read over it. Electronic calls are not legal for the purposes of hunting, except for coyotes.

Nobody wants to see anyone in trouble. Wardens will be wardens.
Like I said cool to hear, next time take a call and mimic the sounds yourself. No better way to learn how to call.

I honked at some turkeys two weeks ago to get em to gobble.... been in the state pen ever since

Last edited:
Back