Is it unethical???

armedhiker

First time posting but love this site. Anyway, I recently went on a guided elk hunt in WY and had a great time. I want to go back and bow hunt but can't afford to do one every year nor do I really want to do a guided trip again. My question is whether it would be unethical to go back near the area I went with the guide? I got to learn this area pretty good and figured it would be a head start since I live very far away and can't do any real scouting but I don't know if that would be right.

I haven't done a guided hunt, but it seems fine to me. I talked with a guide on one of my trips to Colorado, and it sounds like that is what a lot of people do. If it's public land, you shouldn't feel bad about using it.

Agreed. If you were on public land, there is nothing wrong with it, even if you paid for a guide to show you around it. If you were on private land, that would be completely different.

When you were on your hunt with the guide, how would you have liked it if his previous clients were where he needed to be with you? He paid his dues to find his spots. You paid for that knowledge. Use what you learned from him but give him his space to make a living. Show him that much respect.

What Brittany Chukarman said. Give him some space. Same mountain range, sure. Same drainages, not cool.

Yes. Now that you know the area, go further back from where you were. Like was said, give space though.

You might want to talk to the guide and see if he does drop camps. Keep the cost down, gets you further back into the woods, and respects his knowledge.

Thanks guys! He only takes bowhunters the last week of Sept. and goes further in since most of the area he hunts is in the wilderness which I can't go being a NR. I was planning on hunting some areas I saw on the way in and out well below the wilderness and the second week of Sept. Also, I did run into two other hunters during my hunt which is what kind of put the idea in my head.

This isn't quite the same as an Elk hunt; but, when I lived on Santee-Cooper's Lake Marion, plenty of people would hire a fishing guide for one or two days. They'd get the general idea of fishing the lake, and some would even mark the guide's brush piles using old fashioned fish finders and Lowrance units. Then they'd fish the rest of the week without the guide and often over his baited brush piles! The guides didn't mind them learning the lake; but sort of drew the line at marking their spots and then going back and fishing them. There were even a few instances of boats being rammed and shots being fired back in those days.

My thoughts are similar to what the others mentioned and like the fishing guides. Take what you learned, but don't tread on his territory.

For me, if I have to ask someone if its right/wrong, then I know the answer.

Figure it out on your own, use the experience you gained from your guided hunt to carve out your own area instead of scamming someone else's. The reward will be that much sweeter.

As much as I hate the guiding industry, this is a pretty low life thing to do, IMO.

What Brittany Chukarman said. Give him some space. Same mountain range, sure. Same drainages, not cool.

True that public land is public land, but I agree with those above who point out that this is how the man feeds his family and pays his bills. I couldn't do it, what would you say if you ran into him? Now that you know a good general area, branch out and use maps, google earth, etc. to find similar terrain that will hold elk in other areas nearby.

That is kind of like going with a friend to his honey hole and then going back at a later date without his permission. It is not illegal, but really comes down to whether or not you want the reputation as a claim jumper.

I am sure that since it is public land, there are plenty of other people that use the same areas that the guide took you into. I would go into the same general area, but try to stay out of the area that he uses.

Great question, and I appreciate all the thoughtful responses.

It is true that this fellow earns his living hunting that area. But, he's also selling knowledge. You paid him to learn his secrets -- you didn't steal them or trick him into spilling the beans. Since he's been compensated for your awareness, and it's neither unethical nor illegal to go back there (especially considering it's public land). If his hunt area gets too crowded because he's exposed too many hunters to it for a fee, then he'll have to find another area.

Nevertheless, as other members have observed, it would be polite to give the guy some distance. And, as a practical matter, he may have the only license to pack animals out of the area, and if you kill one right under his nose, he might not be willing to haul your kill out. You'd be up a creek if you were miles deep without a packer.

There was an article in Bugle mag about this very thing, I don't know that he would be happy. That said it is up to you.
I believe in the unspoken, if anyone, a guide, hunting buddy shows you their spot, you don't go back unless they say ok, or you are with them.
That is why I prefer to not know where guys hunt, so I can find it myself!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back