Yeti GOBOX Collection

Iowa hunt fish grill and chill

And if some googles and comes here, joins, hangs out, uses something I spotlighted and goes out there, and either tags out or not, the price paid for me burning down my house was:

1 person more in the field
Who says they have to or are going to join? 1 person! Yeah, we’re worried about just one person. Give me a break.

Who says they have to or are going to join? 1 person! Yeah, we’re worried about just one person. Give me a break.
Agreed, then let's do a study. I'll post all the info I want-at the end of 23-24 season, we'll look at dnr numbers from 22-23 to 23-24 and see how much damage I did.

Fair?

Ooh, better idea- let's hit up the admins-recommend a paid subscription and paid subscription members only area, plant the information there, and then still assess all the above after 1 season.

And when dnr numbers climb 35000%, I'll take the blame. And when dnr number fall 35000%, you admit it's a boogeyman.

Agreed, then let's do a study. I'll post all the info I want-at the end of 23-24 season, we'll look at dnr numbers from 22-23 to 23-24 and see how much damage I did.

Fair?
Nope. Your post will last forever. You can’t limit this to a single season. It’s cumulative, and the resource both materially and experientially (in terms of quality) is finite.

Nope. Your post will last forever. You can’t limit this to a single season. It’s cumulative, and the resource both materially and experientially (in terms of quality) is finite.
And as time has gone on, and the access to information has only increased since 1990, what have hunter numbers been like since 1990?

Here go read this. 14.5% decline in fishing from 09-18. Yet information and access to information increased.

Accordingly, that shouldn't be factual-per your statement, yet here we are looking under the bed, and guess what?

There's no boogeyman

Thing is, the land isn't yours to tell me what I can't do with it.
Never did. There is a difference between can, and should, which, if you’re as smart as you portray yourself you obviously would understand. The blind sometimes don’t want to see. Carry on.

So you’re on a mission to make all outdoor experiences homogenous? No more out of the way places at all? Zero mystery?

You’re comparing macro trends to justify exposing micro landscapes.

Since we starting off- I want more participation, it will have negatives, it will have positives. But conservation through use. And if spotlighting draws someone to the sport or to a location, I say good, more competition is always better, more funding is always better, more eyes on our resources, more carrying out a piece of garbage they pass, and more voices for input (politically) is always better. Broad brush strokes and all.

Why do you feel less participation is better?
I think you can look at my post history and see that I have never once discouraged anyone not to take up hunting. I taught 5 hunters safety courses from September of 22 to May of 2023. I had over 250 students in those courses. 2 of the courses are in local schools with a majority of the kids having no experience with hunting or firearms. I think you can look at my life history and see that I’ve probably personally helped more kids and adults take steps to become hunters in the last year than most people have in their life. I have no problem with and encourage people, youth, adults, anyone who asks for help to become a hunter. I do however have a problem with handouts. There is a serious problem not just in hunting but in todays society with handouts. When you give handouts, whether it’s hunting spots, fishing spots, or anything it does no good for the person giving the handout, the person taking the handout, or anyone else. I have no problem with your first post with the mapping apps and other information you have found useful to find spots in the past. That is giving new hunters tools to do research on their own and find their own honeyholes. Posting on social media, forums, telling the local coffee clutch your hot spots does nothing but give lazy ass people a handout. It does nothing to make them be better hunters by researching their own areas, learning what makes 1 area better then another area, studying sign to be able to tell if game is present, etc. if you give a new hunter the tools to explore , research and learn on their own they will be far better off than if you just say hey, go here. There’s lots of deer here.

So you’re on a mission to make all outdoor experiences homogenous? No more out of the way places at all? Zero mystery?
You have a place that's you spot I'm sure. Have you ever, ever, seen something new in your spot, or in the area, that you for whatever reason hadn't seen in the past year, 2, 3?

I'll take on from Gellar.
I listened to a podcast not to long ago where the host and his guest who had recently written a book about arguing for conservation talked about how some arguments are not winnable because the person you are arguing against has already made there mind up and is not willing to listen.
See, as I have not posted more info and am willing to discuss before I do, here you are jumping from its bad cause a or b or c or d or e no f this time now k. And im saying that a or b or c isn't true, check out the stats, look here. Etc.

You don't like it. That's fine, seriously, it's okay. There's a back button, we can banter, I'd wager there's a block or mute function maybe? But your mind in my opinion is made up on the matter

Gellar and I can continue, maybe we can come to an agreement to even disagree, and I'll post shapes with no names, or names with no pictures, so people have to read.

You have a place that's you spot I'm sure. Have you ever, ever, seen something new in your spot, or in the area, that you for whatever reason hadn't seen in the past year, 2, 3?
Sure. I’ve seen use explode in several of my spots after being exposed on the internet. To the point that the quality of experience is a shadow of what it was. Decreasing the quality to the point that the new/novice users you support could no longer succeed or cut their teeth on them.

I think you can look at my post history and see that I have never once discouraged anyone not to take up hunting. I taught 5 hunters safety courses from September of 22 to May of 2023. I had over 250 students in those courses. 2 of the courses are in local schools with a majority of the kids having no experience with hunting or firearms. I think you can look at my life history and see that I’ve probably personally helped more kids and adults take steps to become hunters in the last year than most people have in their life. I have no problem with and encourage people, youth, adults, anyone who asks for help to become a hunter.
Good deal sir, beer to you

I do however have a problem with handouts. There is a serious problem not just in hunting but in todays society with handouts. When you give handouts, whether it’s hunting spots, fishing spots, or anything it does no good for the person giving the handout, the person taking the handout, or anyone else. I have no problem with your first post with the mapping apps and other information you have found useful to find spots in the past. That is giving new hunters tools to do research on their own and find their own honeyholes. Posting on social media, forums, telling the local coffee clutch your hot spots does nothing but give lazy ass people a handout. It does nothing to make them be better hunters by researching their own areas, learning what makes 1 area better then another area, studying sign to be able to tell if game is present, etc. if you give a new hunter the tools to explore , research and learn on their own they will be far better off than if you just say hey, go here. There’s lots of deer here.

But here's the impasse. You're okay teaching them a what or how/why to hunt and to do so safely. That's great, I mean it.

I'd like to have a resource to offer them the where and when/why

You're getting people on first base. Thank you, it's much needed. I'm at first saying, lead off a bit but not too much. When the pitcher seems like he's gonna throw, run to there, but don't let anyone with a ball in their hand or glove touch you before you are on a base.

I didn't say shit about the short stop having the ball in his glove.

No?

I too, have issues with handouts, but I have no issues with a handup.

Last edited:
Good deal sir, beer to you

But here's the impasse. You're okay teaching them a what or how/why to hunt and to do so safely. That's great, I mean it.

I'd like to have a resource to offer them the where and when/why

You're getting people on first base. Thank you, it's much needed. I'm at first saying, lead off a bit but not too much. When the pitcher seems like he's gonna throw, run to there, but don't let anyone with a ball in their hand or glove touch you before you are on a base.

I didn't say shit about the short stop having the ball in his glove.

No?

I too, have issues with handouts, but I have no issues with a handup.
To keep with the baseball theme, go Twins, good hitters are intentionally walked all the time. They are given first base. But I’ve never seen a team tell the runner on first to go ahead and move to second or third or home. It’s bad enough when a hitter is intentionally walked and then scores from first the next batter.
Tools are available, you talked about them in your original post. Mapping software, teaching people to read sign, clarification of laws, confirming what research the new hunter has already done; This a hand up. A handout is posting a picture to the interwebs and saying I killed a deer at X location or I was at X location and saw lots of deer. That’s like hitting a home run, or intentionally walking them and then saying go ahead and score too.
And in todays world that walk can quickly lead to a bases loaded grand slam.

To keep with the baseball theme, go Twins,
whoa whoa whoa.. you must be in the minority around these cubs fans!

good hitters are intentionally walked all the time. They are given first base. But I’ve never seen a team tell the runner on first to go ahead and move to second or third or home. It’s bad enough when a hitter is intentionally walked and then scores from first the next batter. Tools are available, you talked about them in your original post. Mapping software, teaching people to read sign, clarification of laws, confirming what research the new hunter has already done; This a hand up. A handout is posting a picture to the interwebs and saying I killed a deer at X location or I was at X location and saw lots of deer. That’s like hitting a home run, or intentionally walking them and then saying go ahead and score too.
And in todays world that walk can quickly lead to a bases loaded grand slam.
do you know how to hit a home run?

keep your eye on the ball- ensure good, forceful technique at the point of contact leverage is maximized square on with the front area of a baseball with a slight upward trajectory.

that does not mean i will hit a homerun ever. never ever anecdotally

ok, so lets cut to it-weve agreed we dont like hand outs-we are at hand ups. we dont agree on what handups are, or we have different scales or spectrums and we can go on and on back and forth.

so, i will keep posting (not yet, lemme finish), relative to iowa public lands and my experiences at them to increase participation, which is obviously a YMMV thing. lets use one already posted that seems you and i are familiar with and just say pictured/indian wmas

so we have an area for discussion-

now-what in your mind is acceptable:

-an image/name of the area boundaries?

-explicit waypoints of success? i think we agreed on that-see one down!

-areas of interest?-hey, the hmong WILL be at x, dont waste your time. hey, watchout for this sink hole. check this cave out if youre in the area/dont cause white nose its closed down or permission only

-species ..surveys? if youre a trapper-this is a good spot but productivity will vary as you get deeper?

-general conditions? gates locked/rehab projects/not productive for hunting but a great spot to take the ECS or the family out to and get some laps/Seems more of a party spot/local dnr are doing whatever-check out that event coming up/that occured

-keep it clean where necessary for the broader internet? ie limit any seo keywords

if theres something in the middle, then yes, id agree, youre a man of your word and history, and we can tailor this to limit the boogeyman while getting more participation or insights into iowa public land.

if theres nothing and its full stop-no way no how anything, then, well...youre not looking for that meaningful exchange

lets be real-im not taking the drone out-posting a flythrough video with POIs and big old red arrows-so im here to agree to something

whoa whoa whoa.. you must be in the minority around these cubs fans!

do you know how to hit a home run?

keep your eye on the ball- ensure good, forceful technique at the point of contact leverage is maximized square on with the front area of a baseball with a slight upward trajectory.

that does not mean i will hit a homerun ever. never ever anecdotally

ok, so lets cut to it-weve agreed we dont like hand outs-we are at hand ups. we dont agree on what handups are, or we have different scales or spectrums and we can go on and on back and forth.

so, i will keep posting (not yet, lemme finish), relative to iowa public lands and my experiences at them to increase participation, which is obviously a YMMV thing. lets use one already posted that seems you and i are familiar with and just say pictured/indian wmas

so we have an area for discussion-

now-what in your mind is acceptable:

-an image/name of the area boundaries?

-explicit waypoints of success? i think we agreed on that-see one down!

-areas of interest?-hey, the hmong WILL be at x, dont waste your time. hey, watchout for this sink hole. check this cave out if youre in the area/dont cause white nose its closed down or permission only

-species ..surveys? if youre a trapper-this is a good spot but productivity will vary as you get deeper?

-general conditions? gates locked/rehab projects/not productive for hunting but a great spot to take the ECS or the family out to and get some laps/Seems more of a party spot/local dnr are doing whatever-check out that event coming up/that occured

-keep it clean where necessary for the broader internet? ie limit any seo keywords

if theres something in the middle, then yes, id agree, youre a man of your word and history, and we can tailor this to limit the boogeyman while getting more participation or insights into iowa public land.

if theres nothing and its full stop-no way no how anything, then, well...youre not looking for that meaningful exchange

lets be real-im not taking the drone out-posting a flythrough video with POIs and big old red arrows-so im here to agree to something
You’ve given me the tools to hit a home run, but now it’s up to me to use those tools and actually hit a home run.

I should have guessed you were a cubs fan. If you say you are a bears fan I’ll block you! 😂. But, when you see a pic of your buddies or some hot chicks in the bleachers at Wrigley on social media doesn’t it make you want to go?

I don’t have any problem and actually enjoyed your story and pictures about meeting up with your buddies for a fish and float. I just didn’t care for naming the location and it would have been just as good of story if you’d left it out.

I go to both pictures rocks/Indian bluffs a few times a year as my parents live within a stones throw, but I have t floated since 2010. It was a few months after the Delhi dam blew out up river and my dog did more swimming and running on shore than riding in the canoe. We had to put the dog down a few days later because of liver failure. The vet believed he got a parasite from the water. No doubt a freak accident and I haven’t let it stop me from canoeing and swimming in rivers I just haven’t floated that stretch again.

You’ve given me the tools to hit a home run, but now it’s up to me to use those tools and actually hit a home run.

I should have guessed you were a cubs fan. If you say you are a bears fan I’ll block you! 😂. But, when you see a pic of your buddies or some hot chicks in the bleachers at Wrigley on social media doesn’t it make you want to go?
no no no...i said most around here were cubs fans, not that I was...the deciding factor of where i go to a baseball game is based solely on the local cuisine though...hell yea i hit up chicago, st louis or kc....minnesota though....the cities....

gimme the iowa cubs or the hawkeyes, just dont give me ferentz for chirst sake, unless we just decide our offense is our special teams, then whatever, probably start winning more punting on 1st down.
I don’t have any problem and actually enjoyed your story and pictures about meeting up with your buddies for a fish and float. I just didn’t care for naming the location and it would have been just as good of story if you’d left it out.

I go to both pictures rocks/Indian bluffs a few times a year as my parents live within a stones throw, but I have t floated since 2010. It was a few months after the Delhi dam blew out up river and my dog did more swimming and running on shore than riding in the canoe. We had to put the dog down a few days later because of liver failure. The vet believed he got a parasite from the water. No doubt a freak accident and I haven’t let it stop me from canoeing and swimming in rivers I just haven’t floated that stretch again.
.....the homes on lake delhi had a strong history of not pretty practices of dealing with discharge.. very well could have been due to that. my condolences on the pup.

one of my realtors had gone to saylorville over a weekend-then bam radio silent for a week. when we finally caught up, come to find out his youngest caught something from the water and i wanna say she was in IC for a few months, recovered thankfully.

lets go with that

no no no...i said most around here were cubs fans, not that I was...the deciding factor of where i go to a baseball game is based solely on the local cuisine though...hell yea i hit up chicago, st louis or kc....minnesota though....the cities....

gimme the iowa cubs or the hawkeyes, just dont give me ferentz for chirst sake, unless we just decide our offense is our special teams, then whatever, probably start winning more punting on 1st down.

.....the homes on lake delhi had a strong history of not pretty practices of dealing with discharge.. very well could have been due to that. my condolences on the pup.

one of my realtors had gone to saylorville over a weekend-then bam radio silent for a week. when we finally caught up, come to find out his youngest caught something from the water and i wanna say she was in IC for a few months, recovered thankfully.

lets go with that
I’ve been to 1 game at target field. If I’m going to the cities I’m either getting on an air plane for an adventure or traveling through to the north, BWCA, Voyageurs or going into Canada. I’ll be in NYC in September I’d like to catch a Yankees game at yankee stadium, Because everyone should but it looks like they will be on the road while I’m in town.

It’s 97 degrees out and I’m fat so I think about swimming! 😂 I tell my kids there’s a good chance I learned to swim and caught my first trout in this spot too. It’s a pretty well known public spot and I’m sure most Iowans can figure it out. I’m lucky enough to live about 15 minutes, via level B gravel, from this spot. But I won’t name it. 😂
1690493189795.jpeg

now that we are finished with that, lets get on track

@huntnpack raised a good point during discussion, and that is legalities, technical issues for your hunts etc. While a lot of things in life and law are nuanced, and from officer to officer and based on how you react in those situations, could determine different outcomes at first blush. buyer beware moment here.

We'll cut names (done on the OG posts i believe), limit some other items here or there. and play fill in.

so, things noted from HNP (relatively to deer):
-how do you report your harvest without reception?
-Quartering vs the traditional dragging or pulk setups
-tagging requirements, processing and transportation
-wanton waste, carcass dumping
-calibers and seasonal allowances

I’ve been to 1 game at target field. If I’m going to the cities I’m either getting on an air plane for an adventure or traveling through to the north, BWCA, Voyageurs or going into Canada. I’ll be in NYC in September I’d like to catch a Yankees game at yankee stadium, Because everyone should but it looks like they will be on the road while I’m in town.

It’s 97 degrees out and I’m fat so I think about swimming! 😂 I tell my kids there’s a good chance I learned to swim and caught my first trout in this spot too. It’s a pretty well known public spot and I’m sure most Iowans can figure it out. I’m lucky enough to live about 15 minutes, via level B gravel, from this spot. But I won’t name it. 😂
View attachment 285709
It's your wet spot, we can name it. Nice spot though

Love taking the kids out anywhere with big dumb rocks to climb around on. Something about an immovable object and kids gets their imaginations going

Back