Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Iowa hunt fish grill and chill

trackerbacker

Well well well

So here you are, some idiot out walking around

And you think to yourself, what a beautiful day to enjoy what nature has to offer, maybe you'd like to share it-maybe you're just looking for somewhere to go solo, or maybe you're looking to get out for a bit but have been rocking it alone for a while-tag along!

This is that thread. I typically get out at least once a week to hunt fish or scout, our group gets out twice a month, and I take at least each kid out once a month

Each post will be a "report" so to speak on locations to go, how productive they are or have been anecdotally, and upcoming places to review.

Obviously we are in fishing season now and scouting (throw in some predator hunting), so I'll try to document those as they happen, and past areas tonfill in the time until season opener.

If you are in the area on an upcoming trip or adventure, feel free to reach out, worst that happens is we are too loaded up but can coordinate a meet up or we say heck yea

If you have something you'd like to see- I'm always up for a new place.

If you have something you'd like to review, post her up as well!

Methods means and modes will vary from float in hunts/fishing, walk ins, public only, and any explanation regulation wise I can help with or was tangential. You are on your own though to validate any legalties for your own trips. I do not endorse trespassing and we embrace leave no trace.

More to come:

Last edited:
E-scouting

I use Gaia gps. The most functional layers I've come to like are:

IA-public land, public lands for hunting, ihap, wmas, refuges (locates opportunities)
Private land (find boundaries to not trespass)
Satellite topo (will partial overlay)
Usda aerial (will partial overlay)
River charts (for boat trips and fishing)
Uses streamflow(default)

Occasionally you'll have data overload, so adjust as needed.

SmartSelect_20230714_103502_Gaia GPS.jpg

few buddies text me this week letting me know they are doing a float down the Maquoketa river (rental canoe trip). Given my wife is out of town, daughter is also out of town at majkas, and the boys at daycare-im in.

Loaded up the boat, told em I'd meet em half way and float down from there.

Bad news? I never met up with them. Made it 3 miles up before wanting to cast a line. Forward progress ceased there.

Good news-it was a good day. Smallest was 13", largest was in the 15s, the rest were somewhere in between. Catch and release day for me.

If you're somewhere around this patch of the Maquoketa river, try her out.

Edit fishing: I stayed within the boundaries of the wma, and I'm quite sure for iowa waterways and rights, are non meandered the property owner own the bed but not the water. Meandered, the state owns the bed and the water, regardless. There are some other points, but that's for you tonfind out.

In this case, nonmeandered but public ground equals all good to wade about/sandbars etc.

Waders will help with most, if not all of this river, thighs would work for 80%, and hip or chest waders for all of it you can touch bottom. Today was wet wading as the Temps were great and I forgot my waders/watershoes, who says Nikes ain't for wading?

Will amend this post for hunts.

20230721_123329.jpg20230721_123325.jpg20230721_114829.jpg20230721_111607.jpg20230721_111657.jpg

Last edited:
lets say you are a white tail hunter, hmong, trout guy, or a trapper fanatic. this is a gem, truly.

the beauty to this wma is its a straddler. why does that matter you ask? some iowa deer tags are county specific. so the opportunity this one presents you is fantastic for efficiency.

i scouted then hunted this area during iowas 2023 jan bonus seasons 2 separate county tags

overabundance of good deer scouted and seen during the season. but, thats kind of the reason for the bonus season-population management.

if youre a yote killer, youll find plenty of action here.

the stream is heavily dammed in multiple spots and too many dens to count. trout was not soo productive, but enough given the seemingly low utilization of the area from fisherman.

i noticed the hmong really like the northern hills. big camp. big cookout. invitations were made, but plans were in place unfortunately. however-the squirrels are far healthy and with far more inquisitive dispositions elsewhere in the WMA

one more big benefit - Toppling Goliath is not too far away after a successful weekend and i would encourage you to finish off the trip with anything from their taps. CL is a great guy and probably a better businessman. he has a steep history with yeti like coolers and a passion for vertical integrations and beer.
1690386859240.png
1690386840705.png

1690387034343.png
1690387068200.png
1690387329226.png

***THERE IS, HOWEVER, ONE SPOT I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU NOT HUNT TO AVOID HASTLE***

there is in my mind a considerable concerted effort by someone to bait deer. to the point, its no accident what is planted there, when (based on sizes and corn harvest too), the why is purely conjecture.

The dnr were made aware of much the same as well as spun out to take a look while i was there. their initial assessment was similar. so my advice-if you hunt this and see signs of baiting, or food sources that shouldnt be, let the area be, and make someone aware

Last edited:
I enjoy your enthusiasm for public land in Iowa! That being said both of these spots are already very crowded during hunting seasons. The Iowa DNR does a good job with interactive maps and information regarding access and species available on their website to anyone who knows how to use the internets. Is blasting additional detailed information about these areas to the masses necessary?

I enjoy your enthusiasm for public land in Iowa! That being said both of these spots are already very crowded during hunting seasons. The Iowa DNR does a good job with interactive maps and information regarding access and species available on their website to anyone who knows how to use the internets. Is blasting additional detailed information about these areas to the masses necessary?
Pm me and we can discuss. I do not intend to muddle this thread. I will do you the favor of holding off on further info until you and I discuss it.

As we owe our forefathers, we also have the debt to pay to those without.

Last edited:
Pm me and we can discuss. I do not intend to muddle this thread. I will do you the favor of holding off on further info until you and I discuss it.

As we owe our forefathers, we also have the debt to pay to those without.
But you're so good at muddling everyone else's.... Why can't we do the same when you're hot spotting places like mad?

The only reason I hadn't was in hopes of these posts disappearing into obscurity.

Last edited:
But you're so good at muddling everyone else's.... Why can't we do the same when you're hot spotting places all like mad?

The only reason I hadn't was in hopes of these posts disappearing into obscurity.
Muddle all you want then, I like a good show!

But im not a matt rinella type, whining that only I should hunt public, not you. IMHO.

Last edited:
For such an open person...you don't let others have access to your full profile. Seems awfully private of you.
I also don't walk around naked..

In your case, primarily because you couldn't live with the jealousy of that sight. But that's not what hunttalk is all about.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back