NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Interpret this wolf law

Read MCA 87-6-401 and see if that provides any clarification. Note it does not say "While hunting game animals..."

True that, what confuses me in that statement is " in his possession" what does possession mean? Does that mean the legal owner (me) regardless of the location of the suppressor, whether at home or in the truck while hiking constitute "in possession"? I guess supposedly am in possession of a suppressor, but if it's 250 miles away and my rifle is with me is that still "in possession"? Wow glad I'm not a lawyer, theses things can get very confusing

Last edited:
Common sense says possession, at minimum, means immediately available while you are hunting. If it is on your person I was say that is definitely possession so it would be foolish to think you could simply unscrew it if you see a wolf. If not, possession would have to mean attached to the gun, which we know is a nonsensical definition. While I can't say for certain, it is reasonable to expect having it in the car with you while hunting (or returning home with a game animal) would be illegal and a threaded barrel would invite a search. It is not reasonable to expect that leaving it at home would be illegal any more than having a high capacity shotgun at home while duck hunting would be illegal. Otherwise possession would mean "owning a suppressor" which again is nonsensical.

Question - Is the rifle even accurate without the suppressor? Someone the other day said you lose the old crown when they put threads on the barrel. The end of suppressor has the new crown.

Very good custom molded ear protection that you can push in instantly will run $150. Lesser convenient ones are a few bucks. How much did that suppressor cost?

Last edited:
Yes RobG, It has the same impact point whether its on or off, and accuracy is ~1/2MOA either way. I think I will get some of those custom ear protection made. Its a pretty small investment for the benefit. I guess to be safe I'll just leave that gun at home and use a 6.5x.284 for coyotes and make sure I throw some plugs in before I squeeze the trigger. The suppressor was made in Potomic, MT and cost about $1500 including the paperwork with the ATF. Thanks for the responses, I was hoping I wouldn't have to leave it at home but it appears I will be this year.

Call the enforcement division at the state head shed and see what they say, if they say its ok then if another warden stops you just be able to tell them who said it was legal. the state office # I think is 444 2535

Better than a phone call, use mail or Email, if it comes back in your favor, laminate it, frame it, or whatever and carry a copy with you anytime out hunting.

I wouldn't leave to a phone call, get an answer by mail or email. then laminate it, frame it or something and carry a copy with you anytime you're carrying that gun, That's if the ruling comes back in your favor.

Why in the world would you throw that kind of money at a rifle if you're not even sure if you can use it!
Take a .270 and smoke one.
?
WD

Why in the world would you throw that kind of money at a rifle if you're not even sure if you can use it!

Wally,

Coming from another shooter who enjoys long range stuff... On something like a .338LM a Suppressor is Invaluable. It provides all the benefits of a Muzzle Break while making the rifle report quieter instead of louder. It allows for better communication between Shooter and Spotter, shooting w/o ear pro, significant reduction in muzzle blast and dirt spray from the shot, and can help reduce the flinching some folks find with the noise of Muzzle breaks. And completely eliminates the sideways and rearward over-pressure that comes off the break.

Montana is a Quirky state this way. Many states allow hunting with a suppressed firearm as long as the suppressor is legally attained. It's not that he cannot use the rifle, he would just prefer to shoot it suppressed. Having been around Several .338lm's for various long range shooting, It is ABSOLUTELY worth the money to Suppress, even if you cant hunt in Montana with it.

I hope Montana will change this law in the future and start allowing hunting with legally acquired suppressors.

I don't have any legal opinions to spread here - but for God's sake use hearing protection - on any firearm. It's a very simple rule to follow.

I got my first pair of hearing aides at 35 because the only time I ever used hearing protection was at the range. My hearing is worse than my 65 y/o father-in-law who has farmed all of his life. In fact, when I went in to get my hearing tested the first time - the dr's scoffed at me saying I was 'too young'. The conversation turned serious after testing my 'good' ear.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back