Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

InReach Explorer

Jim/Wa

Does anybody use one of these? I've been looking at the InReach SE but the idea of a combo emergency locator/GPS makes more sense. It looks like the GPS mapping function is pretty marginal and won't work with an OnXmaps SD card. I just want to make sure that's correct before I rule it out.

I don't find the GPS mapping useful, maybe as a backup to a standard GPS, but not for primary navigation. The satellite messaging is really nice to have though. Peace of mind when you are way back in somewhere with no other communication.

The Inreach Explorer is not a very good gps unit when compared to any Garmin 600/64/current etrex. The SE still has some gps functionality when paired with a cell phone, though the cell phone probably is more useful with cached maps. Point being if you want to use an OnXmaps chip or want a feature packed unit go with one of the popular Garmins and just get the Inreach SE. The good news is Garmin bought Inreach so in the next year or two there will probably be better dual feature units.

Thanks. Pretty much what I figured. I really don't like my Etrex all that much. I find myself using the Iphone GPS with either the Motion-X or Gaia apps most of the time. It's tempting to sit back and wait for a decent combo unit to hit the market but that may take years to develop.

Except for the color, the inReach SE and Explorer look identical. That is where the similarities end. The Explorer has its own GPS chip and on-board memory so the Explorer functions like a data logger. If you pair it with one smartphone then drop that phone off a cliff and pull out another phone with the Earthmate app installed all you have to do is unpair the original phone then pair it with the new phone and all your trip data, routes, and waypoints are still there. If you accidentally drop the new phone into a river, the Explorer works as a basic stand-alone GPS just fine.

It's unlikely you'll destroy two phones but since the Explorer stores the GPS data internally you can leave your smartphone turned off most of the day to save battery life then turn it on when you want to view your track. Also worth noting is when you are navigating with the Explorer paired to a smartphone, your phone is not using its internal GPS which will drain the battery quicker.

A lot of people complain that the Explorer's GPS won't function without a subscription. Of course it won't, how do you think Delorme makes their money? What most people don't know is the GPS is part of the Explorer's two-way satellite communications so when you set a waypoint in the field or are navigating to a waypoint or following a route, that activity can be seen on your Mapshare page. The other big advantage is being able to send and receive reference points. That little feature saved me about 35 miles of walking when I snapped the chain on my mountain bike and was able to tap the map in the Earthmate app where I wanted to be picked up and sent a text for help to my less-than-amused wife (who was at work) instead of pushing my bike back to my car which in hindsight may have been preferable.

I'm not sure why people say the free Earthmate app isn't that good. You get aerial imagery, USGS 7.5 minute maps, and NOAA charts included plus you can import/export GPX and KML files through the Explore web portal. I only use two of the three free preset messages, one of which says 'check Mapshare' - That comes in handy when I set a waypoint with a relative name like 'camping here' - You can't do that with the SE. I figured out a couple little tricks to save money so I feel the extra up-front cost was worth it. I get by with the cheapest Freedom subscription plan and including a penny for the governor, I rarely exceed $20 per month on my subscription. I hardly ever turn on the upload trackpoint feature opting to send free waypoints to Mapshare instead of paying dime each for the automatically uploaded trackpoints. Besides, it's more useful to set a waypoint at a meaningful location than it is to have trackpoints 10 minutes apart at random locations.

I started out thinking the inReach Explorer would make a great back-up if my GPS or phone failed but with a little practice the Explorer became my preferred method of navigation sometimes with and sometimes without using the free Earthmate app.

To answer your original question, I use a Delorme inReach Explorer 300+ days of the year (mostly for work) and it has performed 100% within its specifications. The only issue I have is there is no way to archive active tracks to the internal memory or load GPX files without an internet connection. No worries because I always carry a back-up GPS, a smartphone with several GPS apps, and a map and compass.

If I was going to take a guess, Garmin is going to drop the Delorme SE and if they come up with a combo device it is going to be crazy expensive and not have the reliability or battery life of the inReach Explorer. If you're going to invest in an inReach and aren't in a hurry, I would recommend waiting until there is a sale and buying the Explorer. The extra functionality you get for a few dollars more up front is well worth the money.

One final thought whether you buy an SE or Explorer, the firmware upgrade that enabled text weather reports rocks!

Last edited:
It would be nice if Garmin could fit two-way communications into a unit like the GPSMAP 64 that is reliable and sold for under $400 but I wouldn't bet on that. My bet is Garmin will do away with the SE, drop the price of the Explorer to reel in the suckers and then increase the price of the subscription service and/or start charging for the now free waypoints that get sent via satellite to Mapshare.

+1 ^^^ Well said Bob.

I pre-download maps to my phone through the Earthmate App. It works great.. The only downside is the monthly payments and annual subscription but it's not bad. If you go unlimited messages on the Freedom Plan it is going to cost you ~$70 per month until you suspend the plan (only activate it in-season). Then you will pay ~$25 annually to keep your device/data in the system. Oh, and with the Earthmate App you can send messages from your phone, which is much easier.. The Inreach is well worth it in my book

I keep my SE on year round and it's only like $50 a month for unlimited messaging. It has come in handy on road trips and scouting where I'm out of cell service and break down. I can use the InReach to contact my wife back home and she can arrange help for me. To me that's worth the price of keeping it on, and if you average it out, it's about the same to keep it on rather than only using it during hunting season.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back