If you were going on a non-hunting/fishing backcountry trip, where would you go?

Prettiest place I have ever been to is Independence pass area from Aspen back to Denver. Lots of hiking and lots of area to hike.

This is top on my bucket list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Ocean_Pass

Also really want to visit the Wind Rivers in WY.

I'm in western Montana so have hiked quite a bit in the Rattlesnake, Pintlers, Sapphires, Bitterroots. Amazing country. And anywhere off the beaten path in Yellowstone is great. Need to hike more in Glacier, the Bob, Frank Church, Sawtooth, Selway-Bitterroot (Idaho side). So many trails, so little time.

As evidenced by my avatar, I'd take a horse and ride into some beautiful country.

I've ridden a semi-decent amount of Yellowstone. Glacier Park would be at or near the top of any bucket list.

Others in no particular order.

Thorofare
The Bob
The Madison range... I've ridden there a good bit.
The Winds
The Canadian Rockies in the Banff/Jasper region.

full

I'll keep going back to the Alaska range indefinitely, even though I've technically crossed climbing there off the bucket list a couple of times already...
Patagonia has also been checked off but remains on the list, I have unfinished business in the mountains there as well...
the Karakorum and Nepal are on the long-term list...

There is a wonderful trail system called Alpe Adria that begins near Trieste, goes thru Slovenia, and ends in Australia. Ive walked parts of it, mostly in Slovenia, and can say it is dog danged gorgeous. Youll never eat as good food in the mountain villages anywhere in Merka either.
I didn’t know it continued down around the cape and across the Indian ocean to Australia, but I second this (spellchecker typos aside :) ) The Julian Alps are a mostly ignored beautiful corner of the world. And those unpronouncable meat pies are perfect hiking fuel.
Fishing is good, too!

Exactly, Marble trout and grayling, so 🤷‍♂️

long backpacking trip in the wind rivers
Backpacking the Winds without a rod and reel would be absolute torture

If you aren't going to fish, it is hard to beat Canyonlands, Utah. I've backpacked all three sections and personally prefer the Needles district ( photos from Maze below too).

Attachments

• IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 10
  • P1060092.jpg
    P1060092.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170325_175754.jpg
    20170325_175754.jpg
    797.4 KB · Views: 11
I haven't been outside of Montana much; I would love to see the Grand Canyon and the Redwoods in Northern California. I am pretty lucking to have all the fishing and hunting I could ever ask for within 50 miles of my home in Anaconda.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back