Idaho Wolf tag punched!

ihuntelk

My good friend and filming buddy, Carson, was able to harvest this beautiful wolf in Idaho a week or so ago. I'll post more pics/story/video as we release it.

Wolf2012.jpg

Joy ride!
wolf2012-2.jpg

Stalking a 6pt. Idaho bull they had glassed 3 hours earlier go into a big patch of conifers in a new burn. Glassed for a while and couldn't find the bull. After maneuvering up the ridge to get a better look, this wolf decided to come out the bottom and Carson made a great shot as it was about to disappear for good behind a big ridge.

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Well done on the wolf...would have made an awesome double if the bull elk broke out of the timber and he was taken as well. Still a great trophy to see!

Here are a few more pics. We've released the story on the Western Hunter Magazine blog if you want to read the full story: http://westernhuntermagazine.net/idaho-wolf-photos-role-reversal/

Some of the country.
7.jpg
10.jpg

Hiked up in the dark to this knob to glass for the morning.
3.jpg

Found this bull across a huge canyon.
2.jpg

Made the stalk
4.jpg
6.jpg

Wolf came barreling out and almost made it over this little rise.
8.jpg

Carson made a snap shot and wasn't sure if the "whump" was wolf or stump related!
Ran up to the last spot he had seen the wolf and started picking the country apart. He couldn't find the wolf and finally looked 10 yards from his feet and found this:
9.jpg

Nothing like sharing an experience like this with his dad.
1.jpg

5 years-old and 95 pounds. Pretty good representation of our western wolves.
He had the video camera rolling before and after, but not during the shot. I was trying to decide if we should release some of the video. Friday, I was in the Wyo hills and howled in a pack of 7. They came to 50 yards but I couldn't get a shot in the dark timber. :(

My brother was 15 yards behind me on the call and camera. He could have killed every one but didn't buy a Wyo tag. :eek: I've been curled up in the fetal position for a week. I can't believe I couldn't capitalize on the opportunity. We had to set up in a tough spot because of the canyon, creek and another boundary we couldn't cross ;)
We made the best of our location and almost pulled it off. The alpha male was as impressive an animal as I've ever seen. Dirty white with a little grey and dingy yellow. Alpha female was black. 1 more black, 2 maltese blue-blacks and 2 greys the color of Carson's. Got to watch them for 20 minutes bedded across a canyon 1200 yards away.

Got some pretty good video of them across the canyon and then some decent stuff at 50 yards. They hung up at 100 yards and put on a howl-fest off and on for 20 minutes. The audio is unbelievable. I plugged it in for my wife that night when I got home. She had goosebumps and the hair on the back of her neck was standing on end within .000005 seconds of them howling! She kept asking if we were scared :D. Uhhhhh no, that's what we were trying to do!:rolleyes:

I'll edit both mine and Carson's hunt and put them together as a "to be continued" hunt. I've gotta get back out there!
-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

IdNative - I understand all too well the being soooooooooooooooo close. Good luck this year. They're the most intelligent animal I've ever chased - other than my wife! I'm the only mistake shes ever made! :D

havegunWT: His dad wouldn't even stay around long enough to take pics. He was up the ridge waiting on that bull to appear. Never showed himself. Would have been an awesome double!

Critter - if you can kill wolves in back2back years.............. I don't even know what to say! That would be an unbelievable accomplishment. More so than you 400" "Utah" bull from this year. ;) IMHO

CabinFever - that was the 3rd pack I've called in. Twice before they were legal to hunt. First time we watched 3 kill a moose in Idaho and then I called them in about 15 minutes later. Big black male with yellow eyes came inside 25 yards before he caught our wind. Unbelieveable experience.
Next pack was in Wyo. Out scouting the day before the elk rifle opener. Saw a wolf and started calling. Pretty soon 11 heads were looking at me over the ridge. 6 came to my downwind side and 5 to my upwind. Bottom group got to 30 yards. All I had was pepper spray on my pack and my buddy kept asking me what I was going to do with it. Little did he know I'd have sprayed him and then ran for my life!:hump: I never did feel threatened or in trouble. It was awesome. I'd like to have it happen again, but with my rifle in hand. Good luck in the next couple months. I wish Wyo's season lasted past Dec. I have a feeling I'll be in Idaho for a week in Jan or Feb!

IdNative - I understand all too well the being soooooooooooooooo close. Good luck this year. They're the most intelligent animal I've ever chased - other than my wife! I'm the only mistake shes ever made! :D

havegunWT: His dad wouldn't even stay around long enough to take pics. He was up the ridge waiting on that bull to appear. Never showed himself. Would have been an awesome double!

Critter - if you can kill wolves in back2back years.............. I don't even know what to say! That would be an unbelievable accomplishment. More so than you 400" "Utah" bull from this year. ;) IMHO

CabinFever - that was the 3rd pack I've called in. Twice before they were legal to hunt. First time we watched 3 kill a moose in Idaho and then I called them in about 15 minutes later. Big black male with yellow eyes came inside 25 yards before he caught our wind. Unbelieveable experience.
Next pack was in Wyo. Out scouting the day before the elk rifle opener. Saw a wolf and started calling. Pretty soon 11 heads were looking at me over the ridge. 6 came to my downwind side and 5 to my upwind. Bottom group got to 30 yards. All I had was pepper spray on my pack and my buddy kept asking me what I was going to do with it. Little did he know I'd have sprayed him and then ran for my life!:hump: I never did feel threatened or in trouble. It was awesome. I'd like to have it happen again, but with my rifle in hand. Good luck in the next couple months. I wish Wyo's season lasted past Dec. I have a feeling I'll be in Idaho for a week in Jan or Feb!

Great post

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back