Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Legendary Day in Idaho

See how similar they look?! I just don't see how any hunter in Colorado is going to be able to tell them apart.......

On another note: Watch your water bottle binki.....it's getting mighty close to the dangerous end of that there cainine....lol

That's incredible! The colors are almost identical, but the size is so drastically different.

I always laugh when someone sends me a picture of a coyote they have on trail cam and say "I have a wolf on camera"... Nope, that's a coyote... The head alone is a dead give away!
That's going to make a beautiful mount! Not sure if the fur is prime yet, but it looks really good. I'd do at the very minimum a full rug!

That's incredible! The colors are almost identical, but the size is so drastically different.

I always laugh when someone sends me a picture of a coyote they have on trail cam and say "I have a wolf on camera"... Nope, that's a coyote... The head alone is a dead give away!
That's going to make a beautiful mount! Not sure if the fur is prime yet, but it looks really good. I'd do at the very minimum a full rug!
Yes well said. Rug at minimum for sure, and it would look great. Full mount is probably happening though.

That’s a big one. Wolf size is typically over estimated. Average I suspect is in the 80-90 pound range. A giant lower 48 wolf is 110ish up to 120. But that would be a giant alpha
Yeah good point. I downloaded an academic paper on using dentition to age them, going to give it my best shot and have the taxidermist do the same. Looking at the teeth off hand it doesn't strike me as a particularly young or old wolf either way.

Congrats! Another mount idea is to check out the soft body mounts. Pretty cool to be able to have guests pick it up and throw it over their shoulder to really size them up. It’s also a fair amount cheaper than a traditional full body. But on the other hand, I am not sure I like the idea of setting it down and curling it up like a sleeping dog whenever it isn’t being held.

Thanks for sharing. Echoing everyone elses thoughts I'm surprised on thr size difference.

Full body of both with the wolf chasing the coyote... If you are looking for a taxidermist, Monarch in Helena is my taxidermist's nephew. My guy is good and got him started, but he has taken it to the next level...

90437461_1_x.jpg
324409.jpeg

full-866-135555-fb_img_1649506278145.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back