Idaho Steelhead October/November?

devon deer

Assuming i make it over to SW Montana this year it has always been on my wish list to catch a Steelhead, i might even make some spare time at the end of my hunt to dedicate to this, but i know nothing!
Is there a river within Idaho that is a sensible distance from the border?
If yes what kit will i need?
Many thanks
Richard

I have never been steelhead fishing, but I know the Lochsa and Clearwater rivers are close to the border and I'm pretty sure they pull steelhead out of those rivers (I know nothing about the timing and the gear people use). If it does line-up, it's a really pretty drive into the Lochsa area from Missoula and it pretty much parallels the path Lewis and Clark took. Beautiful country.

Richard...if you are successful and get an elk...how would you get the meat back home? Do you guys have like a USDA in your government that would restrict the meat being imported?

There is no Steelhead fishing allowed on the Lochsa River. What is the timing of the trip? That will dictate where the fish are at and where you will need to travel to fish them.

The Lochsa has been closed to steelhead for a long time.

I personally have never fished steelhead above clear creek, and IIRC, thats as far upstream as you can fish the Clearwater.

Just for the record, if you want the easiest place to catch a steelhead consider the Salmon River around North Fork from Corn Creek to a few miles upstream of the confluence with the middle fork.

If you're hitting the Clearwater, the mainstem can be a pretty intimidating river...and I'd say unless you're fairly good at reading water and familar with large rivers, I'd not fish it. I enjoy the mainstem more, but its takes a long time to learn how to fish it correctly.

The South Fork of the Clearwater would be your best bet if you're going to fish that. Its really the "training wheels" river for steelhead fishermen. Much smaller and much more manageable. Very fun river to fish, but expect company. I used to pretty well have that river to myself, but not like that anymore.

You also might consider a guided trip near Orifino, you cant miss the guide shop. Those guys flat get it done and know their stuff.

Good luck if you go...pray you dont get bit by the steelhead bug too hard. Its addictive and expensive...but loads of fun. IMO, the top anadromous fish I've ever chased.

the snake river salmon run looks to be really really good this fall. If you come in Sept. I'd recommend hitting the clearwater or salmon rivers for chinook salmon.

Speaking of steelhead.........These are of the coastal variety, and yes, they do get in your blood.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

By September the spring chinook salmon should be spawned out and dead/dying.

Summer steelhead show up on the salmon river above Corn Creek October and November. Lots of pressure. When fishing pressure is high the best thing to use is yarn and eggs. Don't know how good a run is forecast this year. Last year was poor on the salmon, or maybe I talked to the wrong people. I'm gone from Idaho by the time steelhead show up - back in Oregon where they are dumb, hungry and easy to catch. Got one last Tuesday, but that was a winter run which is at its peak right now if the water would drop back in shape.

Many thanks for the info chaps, very helpful as usual.

I think what i might do is arrive a few days prior to the rifle season in Montana and try for a steelhead, my passion is fly fishing so that is the method i will be using, i will have to find a spey rod that will fit in my case!

Cheers
Richard

Back