Idaho/Oregon : Duck/Upland game leases.

Moosie

Grand poopa
OK, I've been approached to manage some property for bird hunters. I am working on the setup and how it works right now and bringing in the proposal to the individual on Monday. I have several questions and comments.

First, Hunting Ducks and upland game in Idaho is great. There are plenty of places that have game. For the Ducks, I've hunted most of the time on the public river as well as some private land. So before you get the "I don't need a place to hunt in Idaho" speech that I see coming.... :D I agree, a lot of you probably don't. This land is private and will remain private so before I get the "It's not fair" speeches as well, it’s not changing weather you or I like it or agree with it. Because I know "you're" out there reading this now :p

All I'm doing is asking for some info and offering up a great place to hunt for an access fee that you may not have had opportunity to access or currently don't have right now. What this will provide is a place to have exclusive hunting rights on land/ponds/river on certain days of the season guaranteed. It allows you to bring clients and friends that day without having anyone else on the land. It allows you to not spend 15k on a boat and a couple grand in decoys.

So, my first question, even if you're not interested but like showing people how much you know, (Gunner comes to mind ;) ) how would you set it up. What I've come up with and am planning is setting it up like a "stock". Having a point value on the days. Mon-Thursday 1 point, Friday 2 points, Sat/Sun 3 points, or something like that. Each person putting in will get a set amount of points for a price. But I don't know exactly if that will work and how it works yet.

The benefit: Well, in addition to the days that you would be allocated, "Open Days" that people have not reserved can be used without using your points. It's a simple call into the organizer and getting those days reserved. One of the properties has a pond on it already but we are bringing in a Fish/game habitat biologist to help design a new pond and establish cover around the property better.

In addition, we don't want the property hunted out every day. We are picking some time so there is a Rest on the property. Anyone with Idea's on that please let me know too. We thought one or two days a week of "no shoot" some Back to back days with several day/week chunks taken out as well.

There are about 3 months of hunting, 90 days+- and 2 great pieces of land. This makes it about 180 days of hunting "Rights". Even with 20 people putting in and only hunting 4 days a week you have 10/11 private land hunting trips out of it.

About the land: We have 2 pieces right now. One in Idaho and one just over the border in Oregon. The Idaho piece is on the Boise River in the Notice/Parma Area. It's 420 Acres +- with River front, ponds and a Slue running through it. Part of it is being farmed as well. This place is the better place for Ducks. Some of you guys might remember when we hunted it for the first time a few years ago with some friend’s kids. We did well; I'll get a picture up later this weekend.

The 2nd property is in Adrian Oregon area and also has water running through the property and has wood ducks as well as the other standard Idaho duckies. It has Corn fields and is a lot better for the upland game. I have yet to hunt this piece but simply because I don't have an Oregon License...yet ;) The Oregon season goes a little longer which most people like.

Legality: Yes, It is legal to lease land to hunt on in Idaho but can not have a Guide on it. You are paying for access but no one will be there to call or show you how to hunt. This will not be compromised for anyone for obvious reasons. I do believe you can guide in Oregon for waterfowl but that will not be part of the lease at this time. It is just for the Rights to hunt there.

Next, is the Price: For this land, we are paying ...... well, more then some of your vehicles for the lease rights. New Full size trucks :eek:. Yah, the properties are that good. So we're deciding weather to offer less people to buy in at 1k or more at $500. Or a combo of "SHARES" so if people want more rights they can pay more to lock up more of the land. The share price thing might be a good Idea to do a combo of both.

Anyway, I'm open to any thoughts and/or Ideas this weekend. If you are interested in this idea and want more info let me know. I will be trying to get out there next week for Pictures.

I’ll have more on it next week as the deal goes into effect.

I'd be interested in something like that! Would it be limited to waterfowl/upland only?? That area (Idaho) has a controlled turkey hunt, and some areas down there have lots of deer......

A thought on the number of days, etc. Remember when Roswell WMA actually had water in it?? I believe it was only open 3 days a week (Thurs, Fri, Sat) and I always did well, no matter how many people were there. It seemed to help keep the birds around. Some WMA's in other states only hunt Weds, Fri, Sat-just a thought.......

Hunting leases suck. Do something good for people and put the Idaho piece into the Access Yes program. If its as good as you say it is then I'm sure the state would pick it up, pay you, patrol it, and let you set stipulations for use amounts.

I agree, a lot of you probably don't. This land is private and will remain private so before I get the "It's not fair" speeches as well, it’s not changing weather you or I like it or agree with it. Because I know "you're" out there reading this now :p

Only 3 posts into it and they are coming out of the woodworks :) Thanks for the thought. F&G won't pay to cover our costs, but thanks for sugesting it.

T-bone, No Corn Flingers. Thats BAiting and is Illegal in Idaho. We actually have F&G come check the pieces durring the season randomly so Like I said, It's all above board.

IDduckhunter, It's a no on the Turkey and deer. The Oregon piece does have Land owner tags but they go for a pretty penny. Some Smoking Arse Bucks on it though !!

Only 3 posts into it and they are coming out of the woodworks :) Thanks for the thought. F&G won't pay to cover our costs, but thanks for sugesting it.

T-bone, No Corn Flingers. Thats BAiting and is Illegal in Idaho. We actually have F&G come check the pieces durring the season randomly so Like I said, It's all above board.

IDduckhunter, It's a no on the Turkey and deer. The Oregon piece does have Land owner tags but they go for a pretty penny. Some Smoking Arse Bucks on it though !!

Baiting for waterfowl is a federal law, so it will apply in OR and ID.

And the "you're" reading this right now is me. Sad commentary when it's all about the $$. To each their own...

OK, Yes, Baiting is Illegal all around, but guiding is not in Oregon.

Smalls, If I have a piece of Land I want to hunt, and I would have no other way of hunting it then paying, I have 2 choices, Pay or find someplace else. I've hunted private land without paying, but whats the difference ? I had exclusive access and no one else did. This way, at least there is a chance to hunt a piece of ground. Should all land be open to whoever want to hunt it ? You hunt geese alot too, is all the land you hunt Public ? If not, Can just anyone hunt the farmers fields you hunt ?

I see no issue with paying for Access. Come on Smalls, Have you ever hunted Lopes in Eastern Montana ?There are many tracks of land you have to pay to access. I bet if you haven't some of your close buddies have. Have you given them the right act :)

I'll get some PM's out tonight to those that wanted more info

Moosie my buddy started the same thing last year here in ID and OR it has been very successful. But we do guide in OR. I think he has over 20 different peices of land!

We're not looking to go out and lease up new land to keep it from the Public. It's land that is already private we're opening up to some others. When it comes to bringing my kid out hunting this yer I opted for not having to fight for a spot to go hunting and guys setting up right next to us on the river. He will have to learn this in the future that it's part of hunting but for now I want him to jsut worry about hunting and learning about the birds and such.

At any rate, I'll get up some Info oon here soon and reply to the PM's. I need to meet with the other guy and see if mhe likes the plan I came up with.

Jsut out of Curiosity MC, how much do you guys chage and who schedules the times ? How many people are in it ? Etc ...

Took a ride up the river in the boat by Bob's old place today..... He still looks like he must be alive and kickin' as there was still cattle around.

Jumped a few ducks on the way and a single goose.

OK, Yes, Baiting is Illegal all around, but guiding is not in Oregon.

Smalls, If I have a piece of Land I want to hunt, and I would have no other way of hunting it then paying, I have 2 choices, Pay or find someplace else. I've hunted private land without paying, but whats the difference ? I had exclusive access and no one else did. This way, at least there is a chance to hunt a piece of ground. Should all land be open to whoever want to hunt it ? You hunt geese alot too, is all the land you hunt Public ? If not, Can just anyone hunt the farmers fields you hunt ?

I see no issue with paying for Access. Come on Smalls, Have you ever hunted Lopes in Eastern Montana ?There are many tracks of land you have to pay to access. I bet if you haven't some of your close buddies have. Have you given them the right act :)

I'll get some PM's out tonight to those that wanted more info

No "riot" act Moosie:) I hunt with guys that are guides/outfitters. They lease land for a variety of game. I don't let that keep me from enjoying their comraderie in the field. We've certainly had the discussion about leasing land and I've told them that I would not hunt with them on leased lands, I would not become part of a lease group and I've done my best to convince them of alternatives. I didn't give you the riot act either, I politely disagreed with the practice.

The land I hunt waterfowl on is almost all private. I knock on doors and gain access...sometimes I get turned down so I move on (it happens less than people want to admit). There are several places that I volunteer a bit of time at during the offseason, mending fences/gates...I even helped a guy dress out a steer a couple of weeks ago (just stopped to say hi and he was in the process). As long as your not an idiot, pretty much anyone can hunt the fields I hunt. I was amazed the last several weeks how much access and how little resistance we encountered getting access to some AWESOME elk hunting ground, the fact was that many of these landowners are rarely even approached.

So you see no issue with paying for access...as I said before, to each their own. The exchange of money for exclusive access rubs me raw like barley chaff in my underpants. IMO, it's the single most dangerous practice threatening the future of our sport.

Now to answer your other questions...nope, never hunted lopes in eastern MT as I have more lopes within 30 minutes of my house on public and accessible private land than I could ever hope to kill (especially with my abysmal harvest record with lopes). If someone plans a trip to MT and has to pay for access to find a speedgoat to kill, I can only shake my head at their stupidity and lack of research.

Jose, We'll have to go say HI to him some day again :)

Riot, Right, It's all Right ;) I'm not talking about out of staters paying to play, there are pleantly of Locals there that do as well. But thats neither here nor there I guess. I knw were ya stand, If you ever come here to hunt, I'll tell you it's public land or something ;)

Here is how we're looking at it right now. 15 people to buy 20 (Points) for $500. Each day has a Point value.

Mon-Wed = 1 point
Friday/Sun = 2 points,
Sat = 3 points.

There are 15 weeks in the season, 2 pieces of land including the Idaho and the Oregon one. Reservations will come on a first come, first serve basis. We will guarentee 2 weekend hunts (Sat/Sunday) but you may opt to switch with more weekday hunts.

The benifit of doing it this year is I'm sure we won't get 15 people to hunt. If we don't, it will leave alot of open days so you can actually hunt more days then normally. Season Opens up soon so let me know if your are interested.

In case you are wondering I will make $0 cash in this transaction. I get other side perks in Business/ etc. I also have no interest ownership in the land at all. Not that it makes anyone a difference I think. But I sure wish I owned the land though !!!

Moosie, how would it work to bring a guest? you know, a buddy who has not bought in?

Basically you would have it for the day. You could bring a buddy. There is better Upland in Oregon were you could hunt ducks first in the morning, then hunt Upland in the late morning. we don't want ot Abuse the deal by saying bring All your friends becasue we wouldn't want to have 1 guy buy and 20 guys show up and not have a great hunt either. It's a work in progress.

dec24_05_001.jpg

Here is a picture some of you might remember. It's beed a couple years ago but we went with Warren and his boy on the Idaho property for the morning. For not knowing the property, and not having a dog, I think the Kids Faired OK and got in some shooting.

I'll get some pictures this weekend or Early next week of the properties.

YAh... Except there will be a guy out there with a Shoot on Site order on Thursdays..... So, Take your chance :)

Jose, when we need the corn Harvested I'll call you up :D

The Turtle was funny, I found that on a side Drainage ditch. I thought it added to the picture and added to the Mixed bag ;)

I agree leases suck. How about if I just knock on your door and ask politly if I can hunt there one day.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back