PEAX Equipment

ID, UT, or NV?

mdunc8

I've been building points in Wyoming and Colorado for a while now and was thinking about throwing a third state into the mix. I know units can vary from year to year and person to person, but which of those states do you think offers the best quality of bucks for units that have 20% draw odds or require five points?

No point system in ID. UT is a cheaper place to build oints than NV, but NV provides a less crowded hunt.

Make sure you look to see how many points it is going to take to draw the tags that you want to draw. Most folks think that they will get a premium tag in a short amount of time, which you might. However, UT and NV odds for the premium tags are very, very tough.

Rich

I'm not looking for a premium tag. I'm trying to get a handle on quality among the three states based on the timeframe I'd like to draw a tag (I realize that's though to predict in a state like Idaho).

Utah is among the cheaper options. You only need to buy a license every two years and points are $10. Premium tags are out of reach for the most part, but some opportunity does exist.

I appreciate the insight, guys. However, I'm not worried about price or premium tags. Simply trying to figure out the quality of hunts that each of those states offers for tags that I would be able to draw, on average, in five years (those that require five points or have 20%).

I'm not looking for a premium tag. I'm trying to get a handle on quality among the three states based on the timeframe I'd like to draw a tag (I realize that's though to predict in a state like Idaho).

You can hunt units with B&C potential deer in Idaho OTC.

If you want to build points, out of the three you listed I would pick Nevada. Idaho there is no points system, the best system. Utah has some big deer but drawing seems almost impossible when you actually study the draw odds and see how many people put in for the amazingly small amount of tags that go to Non-residents. Nevada has some units with better odds, but the way they run their draw allows anyone to have a chance to draw, whether they have 0 points or 22 points. Nevada is regarded as having the best draw system of all the states that are on the points system, and they also have some big bucks out there. But you can find a trophy buck in any of those three states.

You can hunt units with B&C potential deer in Idaho OTC.

Yeah, it seems like there are pictures every fall on here and elsewhere of really nice bucks from OTC units, which was initially got my attention. Then I started doing a little research that led me to a handful of units in what I think would be really neat country to hunt.

If you want to build points, out of the three you listed I would pick Nevada. Idaho there is no points system, the best system. Utah has some big deer but drawing seems almost impossible when you actually study the draw odds and see how many people put in for the amazingly small amount of tags that go to Non-residents. Nevada has some units with better odds, but the way they run their draw allows anyone to have a chance to draw, whether they have 0 points or 22 points. Nevada is regarded as having the best draw system of all the states that are on the points system, and they also have some big bucks out there. But you can find a trophy buck in any of those three states.

My main reason for including Nevada in the mix is the country you get hunt -- much different than anything I've hunted. The results of Randy and others' hunts doesn't hurt either.

Archery or rifle? Nevada is a great option for archery because you can start hunting so early.

I would think about Utah,,now there limited entry deer tags are tough to draw,,but if you don't draw a limited,remember that utahs general deer tags are drawn afterwards,thus giving you 2 shots at Utah deer,,so far ive done well with the Utah generals and have drawn a general non-res 5 yrs in a row now,,not bad for $268 +$65+$10 app

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back