MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

I got addicted and need another hunt

James Whitmore

I'm new to the forum and need some recommendations. I am a self taught adult onset hunter and got my first pronghorn last year. I followed all the rules and the meat was honestly remarkably delicious.....and I want more. I'm a Utah resident and now have a three year wait list. I applied for buck in Wy to start to build some points for the big one. What is the best way to fill my freezer with meat. I am fine with doe or buck, rifle or bow. I know it is a little late for many applications, but I'm trying to do what I always do, learn. Thanks

At one time some areas in wy you could get up to 4 extra ant doe tags, I'm sure that may have change but check on their website

Might be worth a call to the UT DWR biologists for the areas/units that have pronghorn. A few years back in Rich Co, many of the landowners recieved depredation permits for doe pronghorn on their private lands only. The biologist might be willing to help you get a list of those folks to call and see if they have any. There is also the antlerless draw in Utah to try to pick up a tag. If you have deep enough pockets, there is more than one CWMU that sells pronghorn tags.

Doe only permits are not that hard to come by in WY and you can hunt them without burning your points for the buck tag. IIRC in ID archery pronghorn have to be applied for, but are 100% draw in some units.

Hunt elk too. A young cow is almost as tasty as antelope, but you get way more meat.

Back