Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunting in the thick stuff

samking7185

Do you guys have any advice on chasing bulls in the thick, overgrown areas?

I drew a Kentucky bull archery tag this year. I decided to not hire a guide so I'm looking over as many public land areas as possible. I'm mainly using last years harvest results as my guide.

Most of the Wildlife management areas and public hunt areas are really overgrown unless you're down in the bottoms. I've just been picking out ridges and elevations where I can hopefully get a vantage point good enough to see down into them but based on my experience in other areas, it's going to be tough!

Sam...,
Not sure if your tag is for the general hunt all areas or the lands outside of the elk zone.
But when I watched several of the hunters on Youtube that won drawings for fundraising tags.
These were reclaimed strip mines and resembled some wide open parks of the west.
Obviously the areas where the mines meet the timber would be the areas to concenetrate.
You may need to buy a permit for some of the mine company holdings?
Good luck and be ready to shoot 50 yards if needed.
I would try to find funnels that resemble the small area of an hour glass to cover with your bow.

Thanks for the tips!!

I have an At Large tag so I can hunt any public in the elk zone. That's basically what I've been looking for, large swaths of open ground to narrow down my search. I'll definitely keep my eye open for some "choke points." Having never stalked an elk before, I'm not real confident in my sneaking ability. Finding some places to hide and catch them will be very helpful!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back