Hunting Alone...

AH64DMatt

I've posted several questions and polls on here throughout the past couple years, and now that my first Elk tag is finally here in a few months, I'm curious once again about the opinions of the masses:

I'm heading to the woods in October with about 5-6 other guys with tags for Cow Elk. The question is this: Do I hang with a group, or do I strike out on my own, explore the woods for 7 days, and see where fate leaves me?

I have no problem with the other people in the group, but I've also never hunted Elk before. I'm intrigued because there is something very attractive about spending time in the woods alone, finding and stalking the animals, then IF I get a good shot, shooting one, and calling friends for help in butchering.

The area we hunt in is pretty closed off (military reservation), and I'm definitely leaning towards striking out on my own, being silent and stealthy, stalking the kill and doing it all myself. Then again, maybe there's some stuff to be learned by the senior experienced hunters.

What's your take?

Go out on your own...why not, you will learn so much more about yourself than you ever thought possible. I have done the friend thing and honestly I feel much better about myself after a solo venture, have fun with it and realize its you vs. the critters. Soak it in

Try both and see what you like better. I like to hunt on my own, but some times I like to hunt with family or good friends.

When you are alone, you are concentrating on the task at hand and not paying attention to what a partner is doing. Alone is the best. I have always preferred it that way.

Hunt alone, but before you head out sit down and plan with the other guys. Make sure that your individual plans aren't counter-productive. Think about ways to set out so that if you bump elk they will likely go to a buddy and vice versa. If you don't get back to camp, they will have a better idea of where to start looking.

I typically hunt alone, but I suggest trying both. Also, an effective way is to do a hybrid approach where you hike together to an area and split. Perhaps one of you covers the ridge top/saddle and another a meadow down in the basin. Or hunt separate and parallel finger ridges, etc. This is mountain topography though and unsure what it's like where you'll be.

Although I almost always camp or hunt with someone, we almost always separate for the actual hunting, know where each are going, and then meet up at a spot or back at camp at a prearranged time.

If you already committed to camping together with that 5-6 guys then you are not hunting alone and are likely taking off from a comom point each day, and at least coordinating who goes where. All it leaves is a choice of whether to split off on your own each day or partner up.

Do yourself a favor and plan to hunt alone each day, and avoid coming back to camp/truck midday. Stay out all day at least a few days and you may be surprised how active elk are during the day. many guys make a bee line for camp midday for no good reason I can appreciate and miss a lot of opportunity.

Whatever you do, do not let others pressure you to hunt according to their preference. Some guys simply will not hunt alone and might try to compel you to do it "their" way. If you know nothing of elk hunting and have some accomplished guys in camp. By all means avail yorselfmof the opportunity to learn from them early in the hunt. That could pay off for years to come. Of you are having an amazing time you are doing it right no matter the approach.

Will you guys have any sort of plan to share whatever meat hits the ground on this cow hunt? That can work well and may play into your hunt alone decision and reduce the competitive pressure to "succeed" versus enjoying and learning.

You should not need help butchering/quartering your cow elk, but having guys come help carry the pieces is a real bonus.

I'm a loner as well and basically don't have any other point to bring up that the others already haven't. The only thing I will say is it's always a lot more fun when someone is there to celebrate the kill with. You can't hug and high five yourself. Although the fist pumps and the feelings of "I did this all on my own" are a close second!

Ive hunted both ways,,,both have good and bad points so it just depends on your fellow hunters you have in your camp,,,personally i do more alone than in a group.more control of what i want to do.

Depends.... I've traveled and hunted solo 2 out of the last 10 out of state hunts...pretty lonely after the first couple days. I prefer a steady reliable hunt partner for those trips.

I hunted for quite a few seasons with a great camp full of partners. We often hunted solo each day and some days partner up. Both ways great and have their advantages. The last six elk seasons I have been fortunate to back pack into a high country wilderness solo for the 30 day season! This year will be my 7th. Had knee surgery two weeks ago so losing a little conditioning. But as I've gotten older I figured slower hunting not all bad! A month alone in the wilderness is character building. Do occassionally encounter other hunters but has been mostly very alone. September in the high country! Doesn't get any better!

I've done both, 1st time you could pair up with some one that has hunted elk before for some pointers or head out yourself

are you hunting Camp Navajo in AZ? great area if you are and has a lot of elk

Depends.... I've traveled and hunted solo 2 out of the last 10 out of state hunts...pretty lonely after the first couple days. I prefer a steady reliable hunt partner for those trips.
A steady reliable hunting partner is tougher to find than a steady reliable wife. Wonder if a mail-order hunting partner website would take off? Which country should I start importing from?

I agree that a partner is great to have in camp, but when it comes time to hunt, it is usually better to split off and go it alone. Good point about calling elk, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back