hunter orange in NM?

Paisano

I'm just wondering what the consensus is among the Hunt Talk crowd when it comes to wearing orange during a firearms season where orange is only recommended, but not required? So far, I've varied my approach on cover type. In really open country, I haven't worn it. Thick timber or pinyon/juniper, I've worn a cap. When hiking out to the truck, I've run across some characters driving the roads with a rifle across their lap that have made me a little uncomfortable. I think hunters for the most part are responsible and have enough common sense to make sure they have a clear target and safe shot. But, you never know who else is out there in the woods carrying a gun. Seems like on the OYOA shows where Randy and crew hunted NM with a gun, they didn't wear orange. I've also thought orange may help other hunters spot you and translate to them giving you a little more room for a stalk, etc. I'm just curious how others approach this issue.

Good luck to all this season.

Not required in NM and I don't wear it.

I'd rather be stealth and avoid anyone spotting me from a distance. It helps being back in away from the roads too.

I'll be hunting NM for muleys this year and I'll be wearing the same orange on my head/chest that I do here during the MO rifle season. Reason being is that there are too many dumb people in this world and I don't want grandpa w/glaucoma firing at any random movement he sees a few hundred yards away. And like what was mentioned, if someone does see me then maybe they wont be hiking around were I'm at or maybe they leave the area all together.

I can't imagine not wearing orange during an open firearm season - hunting, hiking, fishing, whatever... At least a hat and usually a vest too while on the move or in thick cover.

I've hunted NM and didn't wear orange. I'm still alive and no close calls.

Strongly recommend it. It only takes one idiot. I talked to some guys there a few years ago that had taken some "sound shots" :eek:

Personally, I wear at the minimum a blaze orange hat. My first thought is that I don't want to be shot by some idiot, and it seems to happen every year in every state (even with blaze orange). My second thought is that if another hunter can see me, then they will give me room as I do the same.

I am a firm believer that deer/elk see movement way more than they see a person.

A secondary effect is that you can spot other hunters in the area and avoid them. I kinda like that...

The scoping issue always bothered me more than not wearing orange. People that don't carry binos and instead, use their scopes, are idiots of the first category. I never wore orange when I lived in NM, as I usually hunted mz anyway. I did not like the centerfire crowd.

There are lots of idiots that never pick up a rifle or go into the field except for one time a year and are for the most part clueless. An orange hat is a good bit of insurance.

The scoping issue always bothered me more than not wearing orange. People that don't carry binos and instead, use their scopes, are idiots of the first category.

Yah but had I been wearing orange he would've known it was a person right away. Or maybe not still, there are white deer, why can't there be blaze orange colored deer too?!?! :confused:

My thought during gun season is at least on piece of orange (vest or hat). my life is more important then an animal.

good luck to all
the dog

not required here in az but i always wear an orange hat. i like seeing wear other guys are. also if something, god forbid happens to me and people are looking for me, i'll be easier to spot. if you are lucky enough to get something and are packing it out on your back, you'll really want some orange then.

I can't conceive one good argument to Not wear Blaze Orange during any rifle season. The more, the better. I personally wear a B-O (yeah, HA HA) with a black leaf break up background. If I'm correct all animals, except Man, cannot see color, just shades of black & white. So, why risk a 0.0000001 % chance of an accident if all you need to do is put on Orange ?

Be extremely aware of your movement and your scent 1st and foremost.

And as far as Camo goes, I purposely bought the most garish Hawaiian shirt I could find and wore it during 4 bow seasons. The 5 whitetails never blinked, and were in the freezer just as nifty as is I had bought the latest greatest "Ya Gotta Buy This" new camo pattern. And it bought me some respect in the camp with the newbie's.

Yah but had I been wearing orange he would've known it was a person right away. Or maybe not still, there are white deer, why can't there be blaze orange colored deer too?!?! :confused:

I had a guy scope my wife and I while she was wearing a bright pink jacket. Idiots are idiots regardless of what you are wearing.

I can't conceive one good argument to Not wear Blaze Orange during any rifle season. The more, the better. I personally wear a B-O (yeah, HA HA) with a black leaf break up background. If I'm correct all animals, except Man, cannot see color, just shades of black & white. So, why risk a 0.0000001 % chance of an accident if all you need to do is put on Orange ?

Be extremely aware of your movement and your scent 1st and foremost.

And as far as Camo goes, I purposely bought the most garish Hawaiian shirt I could find and wore it during 4 bow seasons. The 5 whitetails never blinked, and were in the freezer just as nifty as is I had bought the latest greatest "Ya Gotta Buy This" new camo pattern. And it bought me some respect in the camp with the newbie's.
FWIW, I think most all birds see color, hence the bright colors on most males.

I wear orange. I like my wife and kids, though, so your mileage may vary.

I NEVER wash my hunting clothes in fancy detergent with "brighteners" since that makes orange, camo or red/black plaid all glow blue to deer and elk.

Worry about your movement when hunting, not your clothing pattern.

I've hunted in New Mexico during rifle season 5 different times. I've been successful all 5 times.

2009 Mule Deer - Shot at about 50 yards.
2009_Muledeer3r.jpg

2010 Elk - This was about a 250 yard shot.
2010_NM_Elk_1.jpg

2010 Mule Deer - About a 75 yard shot.
nm_muley2.jpg

2011 Elk - Ranged at 60 yards coming toward me when I shot.
nathan_elk1.jpg

2011 Mule Deer - This was about a 200 yard shot.
2011_NM_Muley.jpg

I wore an orange hat at a minimum all 5 times.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back