PEAX Equipment

Hunt type

I am no expert by any means, but type 1 is any sex, and type 2 is doe only,... I think. There is also a type for the 2nd season, I can't remember the number, maybe 6?

I don't think there is really any difference between a type 1 and type 2, other than a different season and/or area. Maybe this will help:

Difference Between Full Price Antlerless License
and a Reduced Price License
Price is the difference. A full price license is required if the applicant wishes to hunt an antlered animal. However, if the applicant only wishes to hunt an antlerless animal, it may be beneficial to determine if an area offers a reduced price license. Full price licenses include types 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 0. Reduced price licenses are types 6, 7 and 8. Reduced price licenses are offered to encourage additional harvest in areas where populations are above management objective. When determining whether to apply for a full price license or a reduced price license, the applicant should evaluate what type of animal they wish to hunt.

Looks like harder to draw a tag this year. We didnt draw last year ( game and fish told us should be a sure draw on units we chose) so im wondering if we filled application wrong. Maybe just bad luck.

Those season types can vary, depending upon the unit. Download the PDF file at this link, and it will give you an explanation of each hunt TYPE, by unit.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001119.aspx

In some areas, a Type 2 is a later season. Type 9 is usually archery. Type 6 is usually antlerless. But, that can vary by unit, so go with the information at the link above.

I was under the impression that a type 9 is ALWAYS archery and a type 6 is ALWAYS antlerless (or doe/calf actually is what the WGFD calls it.) But I could be wrong, I'm just in the early stages of researching my first Wyoming hunt.

I'll do some digging and try to come up with a PDF that actually spells out what the different types are.
Here's a synopsis for pronghorn. Deer and Elk are the same.

Type 1 - full price license TYPICALLY for Bucks or Any Antelope.
Type 2 - full price license TYPICALLY for Bucks or Any Antelope. Type 2 is always limited by a stipulation. You will be limited to either a portion of the unit or limited by date constraints that differ from type 1.
Type 3 - full price license for antlerless
Type 4 - full price license for antlerless that is limited by a stipulation. You will be limited to either a portion of the unit or limited by date constraints that differ from the type 1.
Type 6 - reduced price additional license for antlerless
Type 7 - reduced price additional license for antlerless - TYPICALLY on private land
Type 9 - full price Archery Only license - TYPICALLY for bucks or Any Antelope
Type 0 - full price Muzzleloader Only license - TYPICALLY for bucks or Any Antelope

Can't wait until they determine what the type 5 and 8 will be. I don't think I've ever seen those types! I'm sure it can be pretty confusing but there really is a rhyme to their reason!
Hope this helps. I'll post the PDF when (if) I can find it.

-Cade

Type 4 is not always limited by stipulation
Type 5, full price (antlerless) usually with date change from type 4 in same unit
Type 9, archery only for "ANY"

Antlerless and cow/calf are both cow tags. They are named differently to designate pricing, ie; full price or reduced price. There are no full price "doe only" tags so they do not designate antlerless vs doe/fawn for Deer and Antelope.

Last edited:
I have to say- Wyoming does have some of the most confusing hunting reg's I've ever seen. With the type 1 through type 9 tags, and then having different units and unit numbers for each animal- WOW! It takes a lot of studying in the beginning to get it all straight!

Seriously, why can't they have the Game Management Units be the same for deer, elk, and antelope? I really think they do it this way just to confuse people!

While WY has a robust variety of license classes, I hear more complaints about AZ where folks apply for cow elk tag thinking was a bull elk tag. AZ has online applications and the drop down windows sometimes have the text go beyond the viewable screen.

The race does not always go to the swiftest when under pressure to slip in just ahead of the application deadline. Plan the work, work the plan. Will save heartbreak that none of us want.

I have to say- Wyoming does have some of the most confusing hunting reg's I've ever seen. With the type 1 through type 9 tags, and then having different units and unit numbers for each animal- WOW! It takes a lot of studying in the beginning to get it all straight!

Seriously, why can't they have the Game Management Units be the same for deer, elk, and antelope? I really think they do it this way just to confuse people!

***IMHO Wyoming is actually one of the easier states out west to figure out in case you haven't looked into a lot of them. The management unit numbers are different for each animal because the boundaries of most of them differ from each other. That way it's a lot easier for the G&F to set season dates, bag limits, control hunter numbers, etc. for each unit. Antelope are always done by a unit number, as are elk. However, for deer and elk a resident may get a general tag that allows them to hunt a number of areas. A general tag for elk is also an option for a NR, as are Regional deer tags that cover a number of different units within an area. If you look on the deer and elk maps on the website any unit that is in red is a Limited Entry tag that must be applied for by itself and they can't be hunted unless you draw that specific unit tag. If a person just spends some time on the G&F website there are maps for each animal showing the boundary lines and there is also a unit boundary description. The latter can be confusing because a lot of times they will list a certain river/creek or drainage as part of the boundary and part may be a county road or state highway. There is also a section right on the website which tells what each type means and posts above have described what some of them are. Since almost all applications are done online the only way you would probably make a mistake is to list the wrong number for the unit you wish to apply for because anything else usually has a safeguard so errors can't be made.

Last edited:
Back