Howa scout rifle?

MTBowhunter542

Anybody here have any experience with this rifle?
Can't find a lot on reviews good or bad about this thing. Thinking about using it as a Elk, deer, antelope rig. Any help is appreciated.

I don't have experience but I don't see the benefit of this rifle...it looks like all they did was add a 10 round mag and add a muzzlebrake. I don't think you'll want to drag around a 10 round mag nor will you need 10 rounds

I'd defer to Matt-LSI.

For your intended use, I would stick with the Model 1500 or the Alpine Mountain Rifle.

These are an open-sight rifle witha pic rail, a2 flash hider and it does come with the mag kit. the flush floor plate is included in the box. these will not be a 2018 catalog item but are still available for purchase.
these are only available in .308 win with an 18" barrel.

Thanks for the replies.
My current thoughts are towards a lightish, quick, shorter rifle in 308. I'll look into the Alpine Mountain rifle.

Thanks for the replies.
My current thoughts are towards a lightish, quick, shorter rifle in 308. I'll look into the Alpine Mountain rifle.

If the Howa had a forward mounted scope like every other scout rifle it would be a good rifle for that fast handling you are looking for. For your needs I'd agree that the Mountain Rifle would fit better though they seem to be hard to find.

If weight isn't an issue and you wanted to limit yourself to say 250 yards a Marlin SBL with a scout scope and some 350 grain bullets (or bigger +P rounds) would make short work of any animal in North America. It would kill beyond 250 but you'd have to calculate a lot of drop.

Last edited:
Not to knock our sponsor Howa, but if light weight was your main criteria then i would look at either the Kimber Hunter or Tikka T3.
Take the extra money and put towards a decent Leupold scope.

Any info on the muzzle dimensions on a Alpine Mtn. Does it come threaded? Or is there enough meat on the barrel to get threaded?

Any info on the muzzle dimensions on a Alpine Mtn. Does it come threaded? Or is there enough meat on the barrel to get threaded?

muzzle diameter is .570”

doesnt leave much meat left, i think the only was to thread one is 1/2"x28. ask your gunsmith to be sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back