Howa Custom Build Thoughts

I have built several custom rifles that I love and a couple that are just ok.

Others have said ya gotta begin with the end in mind and really have it thought out with good communication with the smith.

Also as has been said I'd make absolutely certain there isn't a production rifle that'll suit my purpose. I've recently purchased a Tikka T3 Lite & a Kimber 84M Classic Select that made me mourn the cash I'd dropped on customs.

They also opened my eyes to the extraordinary difficulty in shooting a lightweight rifle well enough to hit a target at 500 yds. The difference between 300 & 500 yds is more than 200 yds & the difference between shooting a 9 lb rifle and a 7 lb rifle is a lot different.

A Colt Lite sent to Melvin for his new stock and trigger job seems like a good custom option.

Good luck with your quest!

If you are sticking with howa action I'd go stainless howa magnum bolt face action with a #2 or #3 contour stainless barrel from a maker of your choosing and have it cut at 25" and chambered for 7mm Remington. Put this setup into a bansner stock or a mcmillan edge and top it with a vx3 3.5-10x40. Should have a 7.5-8lb rig ready to rock and be under your budget.

If it were me I'd go stainless Remington 700 magnum action with bdl bottom metal ($450) #3 brux 1-9" twist($315) cut at 25" and chambered($300 depending on smith) for 7mm Remington. Put a Timney trigger ($140) on it and put it into a bansner ($350 if you do the work yourself) or a mcmillan edge ($600). Leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 CDS ($450) sitting in talley rings ($50)
There you go. Complete gun and scoped for the budget of your rifle alone. Then use the extra cash to get yourself some reloading equipment

Pretty solid advice from brockel. I wouldn't deviate much from that. Cept I'd build a .30. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back