How much is an elk hunt worth to you ?

I have family to stay with and my trip to Wyoming to hunt cows still costs quite a bit, but it is done on my terms and my time. It is always a blast.

Don't be so quick to judge fellas. While I have no doubts that in some situations you are definatly paying for antler score and an "easy" hunt. However, there is nothing wrong with using a guide service in various situations. For information I just completed a DIY first season hunt in CO where we applied for points, looked at maps, called the biologist, looked at statistics, the whole 9 yards. Backpacked in on public national forest and packed out our elk on our backs. So I've been there and done that and loved every minute of it and gained a huge level of satisfaction on the hunt. But how about if I wanted to have an elk hunting experience with my father who has had both hips replaced and has extremely arthritic knees and absolutely could not hunt elk other than if we saved our money and paid for a guide service. How about the guy who couldn't take two weeks vacation to make the 20+ hour drive from the midwest, scout a couple areas they had never seen before, take a couple days to pack in, hunt hard, spend a few days packing out meat, then drive 20+ hours again. Perhaps they are new to hunting and really want a chance to enjoy the majesty of a Western Elk hunt. That or they cannot find a hunting partner and to go about an Elk hunt alone would not be a save endeavor. There are varying opinions and situations just remember we are all on the same side and to respect one another as sportmen.

It is not a quick judgement but a lifelong observation that hunting is heading down a slippery slope. Huge fees such as $15,000.00 for a guided hunt in Colorado is out of reason. You can defend it by supply and demand creating the market, but it is bigger than that. The value of a hunt has become the litmus test of prosperity facilitating the kill of what is considered a once in a lifetime trophy for a price tag and not the hunt itself.

Make no mistake, this isn't about hunting, it is pure opulence...

IMO, you really aren't paying for a "hunt" based on the paradigm most of share.

To be honest, I kind of feal bad for these guys, as they are missing out on what I consider the best part of the hunt.

Damn, i had to look the word paradigm up!

And i agree with the last sentence.

Cheers

Richard

I have minimum expectations for pay to play hunts, after i pull the trigger on a huge bull l expect a blanket to be thrown down so i can eat tea and crumpets while i watch the staff skin and butcher my kill.

What is an elk hunt worth?

Well it depends on the situation.

Guided Hunt

Hunt Cost - $6,000
Travel Cost - $500
In Hunt Travel Cost - $0
Tag Fees $700
ATV - $0
Horses -$0
Spotting Scope - $0
Binoculars - $0
Range Finder - $0
GPS - $0
Meals - $0
Snacks - $100
Tent - $0
Sleeping Bag $200
Sleeping Pad $0
Camp Accessories $0
Day Pack $100
Frame Pack $0
Knives $0
Tips $600

Total $8,200

Do it Yourself

Hunt Cost $0
Travel Cost $500 (More if hauling a trailer)
In Hunt Travel Cost $100
Tag Fees $700
ATV $6,000*
Horses $6,000*
Spotting Scope $1,200
Range Finder $400
Binoculars $500
GPS $400
Meals $300
Snacks $100
Tent $200 (More if frame tent)
Sleeping Bag $200
Sleeping Pad $100 (More if Cot)
Camp Accessories $150 (Survival, First Aid, Fire Starter, etc)
Day Pack $100
Frame Pack $600
Knives $200
Tips $0

Total without ATV/Horses - $5,750
Total with ATV/Horses - $11,750

If I was going on a once in a lifetime trip, I would consider a guided trip. The prices of these things will vary depending on whether you own or have access to these items. One thing you cannot put a price tag on is the knowledge that you will gain from your guide. Guides are good people and can teach you what it takes to be successful on a hunt. It sometimes takes people a lot of years to gain the experience that the guides can teach you in one outing.

The guided outfits that are 15k for elk are a little much and something just does not seem right, because it can be done with a good outfitter for much less.

DudeAbides, the costs for the guided trip are one time, but the equipment that the DIYers use is not for one event, nor limited to just hunting, so it is not quite apples to apples.

I use my tents, sleeping bags and other camping equipment on many campouts throughout the year. I use my day pack, safety pack, knives and binos every single time I go out, even on a day hike. I use my GPS for documentation trips.

The DIY costs are for multi-purpose recreational, continual experiences. So every time we use them, the unit/event cost becomes less. Also, this does not factor for people purchasing used, gifts, sharing, etc.

Last edited:
I guess you can't put a price tag on fun. People hunt for fun. The more $ you have, the more they'll spend.

Personally, I don't see what fun it would be to hire somebody to do the hunting for you.

I think all of us spend a lot on recreation in one form another. I got a sense that the OP was trying to ask something like "How much would you pay for a big easy elk trophy?" This would be instead of putting in the hours yourself. To be honest, if you just want a trophy it might be cheaper to pony up $15k instead of trying to figure it out yourself.

Hard to put a price on that shaking like leaf feeling after killing a bull.

If I had the scratch i'd be hunting all the Indian reservations and giant private ranches every year. Multiple times and grinning while I wrote the check.

I guess if I had unlimited amount of money I would try one of those hunts to but that is not the case with me. 2000 to $3,000 a year from my hunting habits is about my limit.

Auction permits - that's what I'd buy if I were loaded. But I'm broke.

The tea and crumpets on the blanket sound good too - especially after melting snow in a jet boil all week to get water that taste like ash and seeing one small bull.

$15,000 Elk Hunt

I live in Southern Colorado. Just curious what GMU this hunt is advertised for? Unit 78, a so-called trophy unit, takes a lot of preference pts. to draw a tag for, and the outfitters charge more for hunts in that unit, however the other units around here don't command that high a price. More like $3500 for a fully guided hunt.

DudeAbides, the costs for the guided trip are one time, but the equipment that the DIYers use is not for one event, nor limited to just hunting, so it is not quite apples to apples.

I use my tents, sleeping bags and other camping equipment on many campouts throughout the year. I use my day pack, safety pack, knives and binos every single time I go out, even on a day hike. I use my GPS for documentation trips.

The DIY costs are for multi-purpose recreational, continual experiences. So every time we use them, the unit/event cost becomes less. Also, this does not factor for people purchasing used, gifts, sharing, etc.

That's fair.

There may be things that you can use for dual purpose.

I lived in Iowa for a bit and I guess my notions come from my time there.

I met people that considered hunting was about sitting freezing in tree stands in on game trails to their field.

No GPS, Binos, Spotting Scope, No Tent, No Sleeping Bag, etc.

They stayed at their house and got up and went hunting.

I witnessed a road kill deer (There was a call list for corn fed road kill deer) gutted and butcher deer with a series of kitchen knives and power tools.

These were the people that I had in mind when I stated the difference. They really do not have a need for all of the western gadgets and would be better suited to go the guided route in a western elk hunt.

There is a ranch out east of Castle Rock that charges 15K. That being said, if you are from Texas or (insert Southeastern state here) and have enough money that you want to be SURE to get a big bull it is a real producer. I am saving elk points to get an RFW hunt on that ranch in a cool 19-21 years :)

Are you talking about Bijou? I'm glad I know some people out that way...:D

What he said-
I would rather kick myself for making a bad decision on a stalk, but again JMHO, to me is hunting instead of shooting.

I guess you can't put a price tag on fun. People hunt for fun. The more $ you have, the more they'll spend.

Personally, I don't see what fun it would be to hire somebody to do the hunting for you.

I just watched the S&W hunting show on the outdoor or sportsman's channel last night. There was some yahoo with a .500 S&W handgun & Eotech holo-sight "stalking" some Monster bull elk on a "High Fence" ranch in Oklahoma! Him and his "Guide" (landowner) were walking along on mowed grassy roads and all the while they were talking aloud. The Elk just stood and watched them from an alfalfa field while he jabbered away with the guide, then finally shot it. What a total sham that "Hunt" was. This is what Elk hunting is coming to in the United States. S&W should be ashamed for airing that stupid episode.

That's fair.

There may be things that you can use for dual purpose.

I lived in Iowa for a bit and I guess my notions come from my time there.

I met people that considered hunting was about sitting freezing in tree stands in on game trails to their field.

No GPS, Binos, Spotting Scope, No Tent, No Sleeping Bag, etc.

These were the people that I had in mind when I stated the difference. They really do not have a need for all of the western gadgets and would be better suited to go the guided route in a western elk hunt.

There is a pretty big element of truth in what you are saying here for a nonresident "hunter" from the midwest or east. The gear and skills to transfer are virtually non existent.

How do you convince a guy that doesn't even own a rifle (lives in shotgun deer state) to buy a Big Agnes tent, a Mystery Ranch Pack and a 0 degree down bag so he can hunt another state.

15k is probably twice the going rate, but there are plenty of people with money from non elk states.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back